When u guys take the end caps and cook box to smooth.....whats your technique???

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
We have talked about this back and forth but I still dont have a technique for grinding off the OEM finish on the end caps to go with the smooth look. I have tried to remove the OEM paint with my grinder and Harbor Freight cup brush but some grills are tougher then others. With my last grill I had to use a flap disc and it left scratched that I could not remove. So please tell me your method of going to the smooth look vs the OEM finish.
My goal is that whatever I use to strip the paint off will leave the end caps ready to paint with no scratches.
Thanks

This:

and this:

Should get you what you want. I have done dozens of end caps with that set up. Both inside and the paint on the outside. Beyond that, you can look for a place to sand blast them.

Yep thats what I thought u said last time. I am using my grinder and brush cup for all of my cleaning but for some reason on a grill or two that paint just wouldnt come off so I had to go to the flap disc. Maybe I will try a fresh brush cup for paint stripping and keep the old ones for cook box cleaning.
Thanks for the reply

Seems counter-intuitive to remove tightly adhering paint only to replace it with paint that might not adhere as well. Bruce, do you take your endcaps down to bare metal?

I only take them down to bare metal if the original paint (powder coat) is compromised. If there is any significant chipping or bubbling, you really need to take them down to bare metal or soon they will look horrible. Also, spot grinding them doesn't work too well with partially textured paint transitioning to flat bare aluminum. So, it is an either one or the other type deal.

Back