When to wrap a brisket in butcher paper?

MickGeo

I am planning to smoke a whole brisket via the Aaron Franklin method (salt, pepper, oak wood, wrapped in pink butcher paper). My question is at what temperature do you wrap your brisket in the butcher paper – as the stall begins (~160°) or after you have passed through it (~180°)? While researching, I have seen both referenced and am interested in what those who have had success with the method prefer.

Thanks.

Mick

JPowers is right. I typically wrap at 165 but that's really arbitrary when you think about it. For various reasons your stall temp can change. Franklin describes using a spray bottle to check the color of the brisket similar to Harry Soo.

The stall can start around 150* and up. The bark should be set after 4 hours cooking around 275*. I prefer to wrap at 165*, however... if the temp is stuck for an hour or so below this - that's when I will wrap. Every brisket is a bit different.

It's not an internal temp, it's when the bark is how you want it.

Success!

I purchased a 13 lbs. whole brisket from a local packing company. I rubbed it w/ salt & pepper & let it sit out to reach room temperature for about 2 hours. I placed the brisket fat side down & smoked it w/ white oak chucks. It was a tad to big for my 18.5" WSM so I tucked the end of the point under itself. After about 8 hrs., I wrapped it the pink butcher paper once the bark was to my likening per the recommendation (internal temp was somewhere between 170° & 180°). It sat for another 6 hrs. On my WSM & came of the smoker once the internal temp reached 200°. Since it was my first attempt at brisket, I am still in the process of developing that 'feel' for the doneness of a brisket. It came off a bit earlier than expected so I kept it in the paper wrapped in a couple towels inside a cooler for 4 hrs. The tip that was tucked was a bit dry but the rest was dare I say perfect – tender, moist, meat candy. My guests' bellies were very happy with the results too.

amb2p1.jpg

x4ewsn.jpg

OK! I have been wondering about the whole paper wrapping aspect, is there any reason a basic brown paper bag rolled snugly around a brisket would not perform as well as butcher paper? I have a fairly small house and storing a roll (until I decide that is really is superior) isn't a particularly easy thing to do. I have worked in the paper industry in some specific areas (art material and food service bags and wraps) so, I kind of "speak" paper.
The food service papers were primarily waxed bakery bags, sandwich wrapping papers were mpstly treated with some sort of grease proofing qualities from the mill so, it was product specific. The butcher paper thing is interesting to me from the economy standpoint, since it comes in 18, 24, and 36 inch rolls, I see it as a practical product for all the reasons stated above. But, until I can sort out some place to hang a paper cutter, I'm in a little bit of quandary.
Opinions?

Thanks for the link Jim, interesting information there.
Just by way of information, typical paper has an ignition point of approximately 451 degrees, just ask Ray Bradbury.
Unless you go pretty hot, butcher paper should be a long way from catching fire unless you have a grease trail and flame up under that spot.
I might go chat up my butcher, they do smoking and are happy to chat people up about most meat related subjects!

If you get your brisket from a butcher, he will usually be glad to give you a 4' long sheet of butcher paper along with your order. That way you won't have to hunt up a pay for a full roll.

That was my thought exactly!
When I get my entire "Station" tuned in I think a roll holder will be part of the design, simple way to not have anywhere near as much cleanup! Tear off a sheet, drop the burger, pulled pork, brisket, sausage on that and, send people on their way!

Last edited:

Back