When To Replace Grill Grates

Willard

TVWBB Fan
I need help determining how to determine when stainless steel grill grates need to be replaced. These have some surface rust that can be sanded away.

A picture would be helpful, but I just cleaned up a set that were 25 years old and they looked almost new when I was done. I would say as long they aren't bent up or have broken welds you should be able to do something with them.

SS rod grates last a long time. Stamped Stainless like ones found in Genesis Silver seem to last until the welds fail.

I think we really need to see a couple pictures to better understand. It is also true that not all stainless is created equal. A quality set should last practically a lifetime as has been expressed. There may be some cheaper, non-304 stainless, that this is not true of.

It also is at least possible that the "rust" Willard is seeing is actually burnt on food that can turn a reddish-brown shade and look just like rust. I picked up an old Weber Q oncer where the owner must have felt the cast iron was rusted out, as it was covered in that color, when, in fact, it was just burnt on junk.

I know my RCP flavorizer bars looks like they have surface rust on them. Even if it is, it seems to be very mild and once I clean them up well, they don't show heavy pitting or anything.

SS rod grates last a long time. Stamped Stainless like ones found in Genesis Silver seem to last until the welds fail.
I had a special edition Silver B with the stamped stainless grates and stainless flavorizer bars. Both burned through and less than 10 years. The replacements looked perfect 10 years later. Go figure

I recently rescued a grill with the stamped stainless grates. Only one bar at one end is loose, otherwise the grates are fine, not degraded. They'd be fine to use day to day but might be a concern for a flip. I wish there was a high temp tolerant way to reattach without having access to a welder.

I had a special edition Silver B with the stamped stainless grates and stainless flavorizer bars. Both burned through and less than 10 years. The replacements looked perfect 10 years later. Go figure
Were you original owner? If not, maybe they were replaced at some point with a cheap grade? Also I am unsure if by this time Weber had stopped using 304SS and gone to the cheaper stuff

Here they are. The one with the drill I have already worked it.

Attachments

• IMG_5359.jpeg
    IMG_5359.jpeg
    330.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5360.jpeg
    IMG_5360.jpeg
    193.5 KB · Views: 36
Those aren't stainless steel, they are coated cast iron. I would just chuck those and buy a cheap set for it, especially if you are going to flip the grill.

Yah, those grates are trash, cast iron and rusted bad. If they were porcelain coated CI, then they are a real hazard. Just pitch them and hit Amazon for a cheap set of stamped stainless grates or solid rod stainless grates.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Are there any preferred brands known for flips? Please post Amazon links

A couple of years ago someone posted a good deal on Flav bars. I bought 5 sets and just used up the last one.

Were you original owner? If not, maybe they were replaced at some point with a cheap grade? Also I am unsure if by this time Weber had stopped using 304SS and gone to the cheaper stuff
Yep, original owner. Replacement bars were 16G aftermarket but replacement grates were Weber, I believe, though bought thru Amazon.

My neighbor just picked up a set of these grates.... They look like really good quality and are nice and heavy --- I was impressed for the price.

Its always a crap shoot as to what you are going to get off amazon....
I'm tempted to get a set for myself.... but my set of stamped grates are still good and I was gifted a set of perfect cast irons from another neighbor that I have for back ups. When was the last time YOU had too many grates for your grill that prevented you from getting the ones you wanted....?
I don't use the 3burner all that much (at ALL)..... the 2burner gets 95% of the use while the kettle gets the other 5%.

My neighbor just picked up a set of these grates.... They look like really good quality and are nice and heavy --- I was impressed for the price.

Its always a crap shoot as to what you are going to get off amazon....
I'm tempted to get a set for myself.... but my set of stamped grates are still good and I was gifted a set of perfect cast irons from another neighbor that I have for back ups. When was the last time YOU had too many grates for your grill that prevented you from getting the ones you wanted....?
I don't use the 3burner all that much (at ALL)..... the 2burner gets 95% of the use while the kettle gets the other 5%.
I bought a set for me and liked them so well I got another set for my friend who has an 02 silver B and a C4 Summit.

They look like a great value if they have the features they claim. I agree that you need to be careful and have your eyes open when you order imported stuff with odd names from Amazon. I have been burned before.

I will say that everything I have bought from the Qlimetal brand (grates, flavorizer bars, and burners) has been high quality, and I know for grates, at least, Hongso ones are also good,

Back