When Did Weber Switch To Porcelain Enamelled Grates?

A Lee

TVWBB Super Fan
A brand new in box Q100 popped up near me. I'm thinking the price is worth if it has the non-enamelled cast iron grates. Does anyone know when weber switched to porcelain enamelled grates?

Pretty sure the Weber Q has had the same style grates since the Q was introduced....at least in the USA. I've never come across one with a different grate. You can buy different ones from 3rd parties though.

Yeah I looked at them when they came out as brand new models and they were enameled cast iron

So if they all had porcelain enamel, was there two different types of porcelain enamels used by weber on the Q series?

The current grates have a thick shiny enamel coating. I believe on the older Q's without the split grates, the grates have a rougher texture?

Yes the originals were "impregnated" while the newer ones are "coated". I like the originals FAR better. They did not chip or flake

That explains why some of the grates look more like bare CI and others clearly have the shiny coating.

That shiny coating is cool for a few cooks and after that you are on your own whether or not you will have porcelain burgers. I hate them. The other rough texture "impregnated" kind are definitely to be sought out over those in my opinion.

Back