What's for Christmas Dinner 2022?

Erik Tracy

TVWBB Pro
What does everyone have planned for Christmas Dinner this year?

I've got my order in with my specialty butcher in San Diego, Siesel's Meats, for my usual - 5 bone choice standing rib roast, seasoned.

Sides will be mashed potatoes, green beans, maybe roast carrots, a homemade version of Red Lobster cheddar biscuits, and a bottle or two of some nice Napa Cabs I've been holding onto for just a bit.

I pick up my roast the Friday before xmas...counting down the days (y)

Happy Holidays!

Christmas eve we will again try to duplicate as best we can the Feast of 7 Fishes (You degos like me will understand). But as we all get older and further spread it becomes harder and harder. Even little bro is in his early 60's and me in early 70's. But, we plug on. None of our kids will pick it up as we all married into "white bread" and no traditions there.
Christmas Day a requisite standing rib roast. New Year's day we celebrate our dad's b/day (who will be 96) on New Year's eve. Afterwards it's all back to the grind. I am inundated with last minute mixer repairs. Seems everyone all at once is realizing their machines are not up to baking Christmas stuff. Currently one waiting on customer to pick up (buying his 3rd machine from me), and 2 on the bench from one customer. Next customer now has to wait a little as she recently fell and broke her foot so cannot bake or meet up. So, we'll get hers sometime in early January. Waiting for parts to complete the ones on the bench now and hopefully can get them back to her to complete her holiday baking :D
Thankfully I am feeling MUCH better now that the Doc took me off of the Ozempic. I am beginning to remember what "normal" felt like

Turkey, lightly smoked w/applewood, cornbread/chicken and jalapeno sausage dressing, mashed spuds, giblet gravy, bourbon sweet taters, balsamic/maple syrup glazed brussels sprouts and green salad. For dessert, pumpkin and mincemeat pies and eggnog. The homemade, year-old mincemeat has been dosed with Irish whiskey every month.

Standing rib roast here, as well, with homemade horseradish sauce. Potatoes and gravy, brown butter roasted carrots,
broccoli cauliflower casserole, coconut bourbon sweet potatoes, Bob Correll's Caramel Apple Salad - just because my family
LOVES it (and so do I) - and my sister is bringing her AWESOME broccoli rice casserole.
Also cloverleaf rolls, deviled eggs and the usual relish try, with pumpkin cream pie and pecan pie bars for dessert.

At some point, I will make Riskrem, a Norwegian Christmas rice pudding dessert.
The rest of my family is not crazy about that, though, so I likely will not serve it at Christmas dinner.
It will just be a guilty pleasure for me, after the holidays. 😁

Christmas eve we will again try to duplicate as best we can the Feast of 7 Fishes (You degos like me will understand). But as we all get older and further spread it becomes harder and harder. Even little bro is in his early 60's and me in early 70's. But, we plug on.
Our family doesn't have a drop of Italian but we've been doing the seven fish Christmas Eve for 40 years. Close family friends who are Italian got us started. Never was too big on Baccala (salted cod) but the calamari, clams on the half shell, linguine with white clam sauce, smoked eel, shrimp cocktail, scallops, lobster and some cod or haddock baked in the weber makes a great Christmas eve feast.

The standing rib sounds really good but with Sheila's alpha-gal it's not on the docket. Instead I will be doing a prime brisket from Costco for our small family for Christmas Eve. Sheila will have an ostrich steak. (Ostrich and emu steaks are very similar to beef but not as robust. More expensive!)

Now what's the difference to alpha-gal between standing rib and brisket. I have the brisket available -- otherwise reading this post would have me off buy a standing rib. :D

Edit: Our small family, is Sheila and I plus my sister and my daughter and two older teenage grandsons. Definitely need plenty of brisket!

I completely forgot about dessert!

Think I'll do our family usual:
pan browned pound cake slices, vanilla ice cream, warm chocolate syrup, topped with whipped cream.

I completely forgot about dessert!

Think I'll do our family usual:
pan browned pound cake slices, vanilla ice cream, warm chocolate syrup, topped with whipped cream.
You can't forget dessert!
Yours sounds delicious! But it wouldn't work for me.
No matter how much we look forward to it, we are all too full after the meal, so dessert gets packed for take-home. Ice cream could be troublesome :)

We order in Chinese food every Christmas dinner.. Christmas Eve is our main event with lots of friends and family and food.

Christmas day our closest family is usually scattered between various households...just the way of things now days for many families I guess. We've done this for many years, but I actually heard today on the radio that Chinese food for Xmas is a very Jewish tradition...but we are not Jewish, or religious in any way...honestly, usually kinda hungover and too tired to bother to cook.

What does everyone have planned for Christmas Dinner this year?

I've got my order in with my specialty butcher in San Diego, Siesel's Meats, for my usual - 5 bone choice standing rib roast, seasoned.

Sides will be mashed potatoes, green beans, maybe roast carrots, a homemade version of Red Lobster cheddar biscuits, and a bottle or two of some nice Napa Cabs I've been holding onto for just a bit.

I pick up my roast the Friday before xmas...counting down the days (y)

Happy Holidays!
I would have ordered in from DZ Akins.

Enjoy your Xmas dinner. Sounds amazing.

Which Napa cabs you sipping that night?

Chinese food for Xmas is a very Jewish tradition
So is that what Joseph ordered in while Mary was struggling? :D One thing I learned having lived and worked around the far north and northwest sides of Chicago (not far from Skokie). Wanna know the best Chinese rest? Look for all the Caddies and Lincolns in the parking lot LOL

Last few years we were doing the main family Christmas Eve with buffet of rib roast, asparagus, plus catered items like Swedish meatballs.

This year we're just going to go out with immediate family. Will do winter grilling on our own.

I would have ordered in from DZ Akins.

Enjoy your Xmas dinner. Sounds amazing.

Which Napa cabs you sipping that night?
I have 3 Napa Cabs
Foley Johnson Estate 2018
Piazza Del Dotto 2016
Lobo Wullf Vineyards 2016

But I also have some Cabernet Franc, Sangiovese, and Red Meritage/blends.

I still have a week to decide. :unsure: :giggle:

Ordered a real bone-in prime rib roast from a little butcher shop in Lake Tomahawk, Wisconsin. I will season it as always with fresh thyme, rosemary, marjoram, garlic, Kosher salt, all mixed in with non-salted butter, which I smear all over the roast, and cook it on my Jumbo Joe til it hits 125. Along with the prime rib, loaded twice baked potatoes, broccoli cheese caserole, and a tossed salad. Red velvet cake for dessert.

Back