What is the best beef for sandwiches

Tri-tip is definitely good. If you're looking for a traditional roast beef sandwich, a simple eye of round will do the trick.

I agree with Bruno. But if tri-tip is hard to find, as it is for me, I've done pretty decent sandwiches using round eye roast. Affordable and tasty.

Since I don't have the bankroll of Daddy Warbucks here;), I like to use chuck roast. Sliced thin across the grain, of course.

Jogan, have you heard of pit beef? It's very popular around Baltimore (Maryland) and might be something that interests you. IIRC top round is often used for it.
That is what come to my mind.

That is a whole different animal. My mom and grandma (dad's side) taught me how to make it (please don't ask for a recipe as I don't have one I simply get the stuff and go :D)
I do recall both used a cut of beef their butcher would cut for them. He called it "Buffet Roast" but I think it may have been a type of "eye of round". I have done it also with bottom round. In either case it's a 2 part process. You have to do the pan browning and initial cook to make the gravy but only until the meat is rare/mid rare. The meat now has to come out and be refrigerated over night. Then put on a slicer so you need a butcher who will trust you enough to slice your roast for you. The meat is then put back in the gravy (au jus) to warm it up NOT cook. Served with fried Melrose or Bell Peppers, Giardinera (not the stuff in vinegar that is nothing but carrots and cauliflower) that stuff is NOT giardinera. It's pickled carrots and cauliflower. Also a little freshly grated Parmesan can be sprinkled over it as well.

That is a whole different animal. My mom and grandma (dad's side) taught me how to make it (please don't ask for a recipe as I don't have one I simply get the stuff and go :D)
I do recall both used a cut of beef their butcher would cut for them. He called it "Buffet Roast" but I think it may have been a type of "eye of round". I have done it also with bottom round. In either case it's a 2 part process. You have to do the pan browning and initial cook to make the gravy but only until the meat is rare/mid rare. The meat now has to come out and be refrigerated over night. Then put on a slicer so you need a butcher who will trust you enough to slice your roast for you. The meat is then put back in the gravy (au jus) to warm it up NOT cook. Served with fried Melrose or Bell Peppers, Giardinera (not the stuff in vinegar that is nothing but carrots and cauliflower) that stuff is NOT giardinera. It's pickled carrots and cauliflower. Also a little freshly grated Parmesan can be sprinkled over it as well.
Sounds delicious, and like a lot of work!! I will try some day soon.

I've used Top Round, Bottom Round, Eye of the round, TT they're all good. There are so many different names for the same cut of beef in various parts of the country. It's hard to say what's what.

Here's a recipe that I use quite often and no I don't want to hear that it's not Chicago or Italian or whatever. It's not my recipe I didn't name it I just make it and it's great IMHO.

THE GREAT SECRET CHICAGO BEEF SANDWICH RECIPE #1 (Best One)

2 1/2 pounds Sirloin Tip or Bottom Round (better). Remove fat
Some Italian bread (substitute steak rolls if you can't find Italian bread)
Prepare the day before in a pan
1-teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon Garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried Basil
1 teaspoon dried Oregano
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup cold water
Rub 1/2 portion on meat.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, then lower temperature to 230 degrees and add 3 cups of water and the remaining ingredients.
Cook the number of minutes to rare to medium rare.
Remove the meat and slice thin
Refrigerate with the juices overnight
Next day…Preheat oven to 450 degrees and bake for 15 minutes
For extra taste, cut long slices of green pepper and place in juice then place this strip between the meat slices when making the sandwich
Slice the bread lengthwise and then in the length you want. To make the sandwiches "juicier" dip the bread face down in the juices
WARNING…If you 1 1/2 or double the recipe, DO NOT DOUBLE THE RED PEPPER FLAKES
(Makes it real hot)
You can freeze left over juices and meat together and then re-warm

I am sure it's quite workable. I can tell you it's not the technique gramma brought over on the boat with her but I am sure it would be tasty. Gramma's involved lots of butter, fresh garlic, mushrooms, fresh parsley and more

Since I don't have the bankroll of Daddy Warbucks here;), I like to use chuck roast. Sliced thin across the grain, of course.

Jogan, have you heard of pit beef? It's very popular around Baltimore (Maryland) and might be something that interests you. IIRC top round is often used for it.
Chuck roast here is more expensive than eye round! Chuck is $9-10/pound, eye round is $4-$6/pound.

I typically use tri tip as we can get it easily and from the restaraunt supply its 4$-5$/pound.

Safeway a week or so ago had chuck roast on sale for 3.69 lb. picked up 10 lbs. for grinding. Barb had one guy come through her line with over 100 lbs. of chuck.

Chuck roast here is more expensive than eye round! Chuck is $9-10/pound, eye round is $4-$6/pound.

I typically use tri tip as we can get it easily and from the restaraunt supply its 4$-5$/pound.
Man I wish I can not find tri tip anywhere around me.

Back