What do you use to catch pellets during changes?

Jason-Jayjay1976

I've found it a challenge, the pellet outlet is in an awkward position and a pellet sack sitting on the ground beneath is definitely not wide enough. I've tried a large metal mixing bowl but find that they bounce out unless I hold it up against the bottom of the hopper, and doing that makes it very difficult to simultaneously agitate the hopper contents to get them all out.

I don't really change them, I just top off the hopper with the new bag. To be honest, I've not tasted a real difference worth noting on any of the different pellets that I've used. If I wanted to empty out the hopper for some reason though, I would just use a 5 gallon bucket. You can get a screw on lid for them at Home Depot to seal it up pretty good.

I use a flexible plastic gallon paint bucket; that way I can kinda 'mold' it to catch the pellets as they drop through. Transfer to my storage pail when it gets full. I really only empty when I want to change out the wood type pellet or I'm not going to use the SF for a while since it gets pretty humid here in Houston.

I change out frequently because some nights we're smoking fish and shrimp, and other nights we're making chicken or ribs or whatever. I've been dumping them back into the bag from whence they came, but I suppose I could just collect the outcoming pellets in a single bucket, building up a mix of the flavors I use, kind of my own custom blend haha.

Next cook I'll be trying out royal oak charcoal pellets and I want to get a clear idea of what they bring.

I change out frequently because some nights we're smoking fish and shrimp, and other nights we're making chicken or ribs or whatever. I've been dumping them back into the bag from whence they came, but I suppose I could just collect the outcoming pellets in a single bucket, building up a mix of the flavors I use, kind of my own custom blend haha.

Next cook I'll be trying out royal oak charcoal pellets and I want to get a clear idea of what they bring.
I’m pretty stuck on Weber grillmaster blend. I just need them to keep going on sale every winter.

hi,
i've attached a "socket" to my EX4 (see attachments). since then i had no issues unloading the pellets in the fuel storage bag or buckets.
br,
matthias

Attachments

• PelletStutzen1.jpg
    PelletStutzen1.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 22
  • PelletStutzen2.jpg
    PelletStutzen2.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 21
  • PelletStutzenVonUnten.jpg
    PelletStutzenVonUnten.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 21
I’m pretty stuck on Weber grillmaster blend. I just need them to keep going on sale every winter.
Those are good pellets although a little ashy. Don’t tell anyone else, but I believe they are Lumberjack MHC Blend 😉 When I’m not using CookinPellets, I’m using the MHC or Grillmaster blend in my MAK.

Mine doesn't have a pellet dump. I pretty much use a competition blend in the hopper and fill a smoke tube for flavor. Works for me!

Back