What Do You Call This Part?

Brian O’Donnell

TVWBB Member
EBA7B09D-7E25-4029-98FF-CBB4B802C6BB.jpegA822D225-265D-4EBB-92E9-FB34DC2D462A.jpeg6AA9D3EE-E4A0-48E5-A15D-95344320EAB3.jpeg

Took the end caps off my Genesis. I thought I could just replace these with SS nuts. Didn’t even look at them when I took them off. Luckily, I kept them. What are they called? My local ACE Hardware didn’t have anything like these.

If your lid has the corresponding bolts, then you can replace them with these:
and these:

If your lid end caps have the built in studs, then you are stuck with the cutting nuts you have ( or new ones ).

View attachment 16540
Bruce, I know those SS bolts showing on the outside of the end caps is not classic original, but I love the looks of it. Especially on a black lid. 👍

That wood is red oak from Lowe’s. The 1x2 slats are a little thick and have to be planed down or sanded enough to not stick up above the z-bars.

Red oak is so pretty but a bad choice for outdoors. I used multi-coats of spar urethane. I have since sold that grill☹️, but the wood held up well while I had it. I tried to pick pieces with lots of “tiger stripe” grain.

The Texas Red Oak is my favorite tree as you can see from my banner. I never thought of using it on a grill. Had a Red Oak in my back yard that died this past summer after 18 years of life, very sad to see it go. Sorry went off a little topic there it just brought back a memory.

I used Cedar. It is a pretty wood if you can find the right pieces. It is also one of those woods that is naturally rot resistant which is a huge plus when using it on an outdoor grill. You can still stain it to bring out the grain more or darken it up overall. I think Jon used some gloss spar urethane on that red oak and you can use the same stuff on the Cedar.
Of course Redwood is also rot resistant and if you can find it and want top pay for it, then that is as good of wood as you will find for a grill IMO.

Here is a Broilmaster grill that I just sold. It had the original Redwood tables from the 1970's that I refinished.20200811 BroilMaster - After (3).JPG

I used Cedar. It is a pretty wood if you can find the right pieces. It is also one of those woods that is naturally rot resistant which is a huge plus when using it on an outdoor grill. You can still stain it to bring out the grain more or darken it up overall. I think Jon used some gloss spar urethane on that red oak and you can use the same stuff on the Cedar.
Of course Redwood is also rot resistant and if you can find it and want top pay for it, then that is as good of wood as you will find for a grill IMO.

Here is a Broilmaster grill that I just sold. It had the original Redwood tables from the 1970's that I refinished.View attachment 16800
Bruce, you just put high gloss spar on those?

If you can get redwood, that is probably the best choice, other than not having lavish grain.

EDIT: Well the large size pieces Bruce worked with on that beautiful Broilmaster definitely have nice grain. The slat redwood I have seen not so much.

Redwood is not readily available except out west.

I will use red oak again because I love how it looks. Four coats (or more) of good quality spar varnish such as McCloskey Man O War, and don't expect it to last forever.

Back