What a scam!!!!

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I just checked the 2 lotto tickets DH bought lately. (for 2 different days) They were quick picks. The second ticket had 4 out of 5 numbers that were the same as the previous drawing. They made sure we did not stand a chance of winning. I wonder how many people they do this to? So, if you buy these tickets, make sure YOU pick your numbers and don't let them screw with you. Thanks for letting me vent, I am sooo angry!!!!!!!

Uh.... negative, Joan.

The lottery drawing systems have absolutely zero knowledge of any history. The last drawing's numbers are just as likely as any other set to come up. Or, just as unlikely to come up. Statistically, if you play last week's numbers, you still have the same chance of winning as any other set. In short, you have not been screwed with.

Uh.... negative, Joan.

The lottery drawing systems have absolutely zero knowledge of any history. The last drawing's numbers are just as likely as any other set to come up. Or, just as unlikely to come up. Statistically, if you play last week's numbers, you still have the same chance of winning as any other set. In short, you have not been screwed with.
JK, I find that hard to believe, that is just too much of a "coincidence".

Don't confuse coincidence with correlation.

Every drawing starts with a set of balls (42? 47?) Pick one. Pick another, until you have 6 balls chosen. Put all of the balls back into the bin, and start over. Every time you start over, it's a clean slate.

The chances of the same set of numbers being chosen again, let alone 2 drawings in a row is almost statistically zero, but that simply does not matter or apply, as you're starting with the same set of numbers. There's no history, memory, carry over, etc. between drawings. Every set of numbers has the same likelihood of being drawn as any other set, and it does not matter if that set has been drawn previously.

I have friends who play weekly and always buy 5 tickets with the same numbers. I asked why that was and the answer was pretty smart--if another player has the same numbers, my friends still get 5/6-ths of the pot, rather than only half.

And I've just learned something new.... there's a term for this, called the Gambler's Fallacy, the Monte Carlo Fallacy, as well as a few other terms. It's the tendency to think that a pattern is more, or less, likely to repeat based on past events.

I have friends who play weekly and always buy 5 tickets with the same numbers. I asked why that was and the answer was pretty smart--if another player has the same numbers, my friends still get 5/6-ths of the pot, rather than only half.
There is some truth to that, the payouts are based on the number of winning tickets.

In my view, there's a significant difference between not buying a ticket and buying a single ticket, but little practical difference between buying a single ticket and buying a thousand tickets. The likelihood of winning the jackpot is still awfully low, even with a thousand tickets, but you have to have at least one ticket. This is gambling, pure & simple, and you don't play with money that you can't throw on the ground and walk away from.

This is gambling, pure & simple,

Or, as someone else once said: a tax on people bad at math. :ROFLMAO: Still, fun to play once in a while when the jackpots get big and you can imagine what you'd do if you won.

listen, you can call the lottery anything you like/wish...
however, my former boss won a lottery 3 times.
Yes, 3 times.
first $100,000 that netted him 64 grand
then he won 1.2 million... worked until he needed a necessary surgery (company insurance cost) then retired
then he hit 1.4 million
playing 30 to 40 bucks a month.
he's always been a lucky sa-nova-bit(H...

So I play. everyday

Like someone mentioned already, the biggest leap in odds of winning is buying that first line. After that you're odds go up so little that it's just about negligible. So, that's why the only real way to even noticably increase your odds is to have at least one play for every drawing. Don't spend $20 on one drawing. Spend $2 per drawing, but get it for the next 10 drawings. It's really the only way to maximize your odds. And NEVER get the multiplyer. It only helps with the lower amounts and with the possible exception of that payout just below the jackpot, it doesn't really help you much. That's a sucker option to increase jackpots quicker. Pay the lowest amount for one line and get it for every drawing. All 3 lottos I play only let me get 10 draws at a time. So, I get $10 of Lotto America, $20 of Powerball, and $20 of Mega Millions and I have one line for each lotto for 5 weeks

As for the numbers you get, it doesn't matter. It would be the same as being upset about only getting to pick heads or tails.... Still 50/50.

Fact is, I'll probably never win. But, I buy the ticket for the HOPE of it. That's why it's fun for me. I have a spreadsheet for each lotto (powerball, mega millions, and lotto America). I update the jackpot and I have all the tax figured into it so I can see instantly what I would get for all cash payout, annuity payout, and a split half cash/half annuity payout. Then on the bottom of the spreadsheet I have the formulas in there to see what's left after all of our debt is paid. I've pretty much decided that if we win, my wife and I will claim as dual winners and one of us will take the cash and one will take the annuity. That way we get a nice initial payout, but also get 30 years of guaranteed payouts.

Managing the spreadsheets is fun and I think and debate in my head how we would handle the money and which lotto would give us what ability to buy or invest. Which one do we get to both retire immediately with? That is what my $1 buys for me.

Last edited:
BTW, here are the numbers for this week.

The 41% tax is the 37% federal for the largest bracket plus 4% state tax here in Oklahoma.

Powerball
Screenshot_20210120-210406_Sheets.jpg
Mega Millions

Screenshot_20210120-210411_Sheets.jpg
Lotto America

Screenshot_20210120-210431_Sheets~2.jpg

Good luck, everyone!

Do you mean all 5 pick the same numbers?

Do all 5 buy the same numbers as the previous time, or do they coordinate every time on what numbers to pick?

One set of friends who do this. Same numbers every week, 5 separate tickets purchased with those same numbers.

Last edited:
Brother Issac prayed every night God that he really needed to win the lottery so that he could help so many people in need. After passing on he met saint Peter at the gate and asked why God never answered his prayers, so he could help people in need. St. Peter said "You know God and i were discussing you the other day and God said if Issac would just work with me on this and buy a ticket I would help him out."

Speaking of scams, yesterday I received a letter and a $6700+ check allegedly from Publisher's Clearing House. The letter shows an address of Bristol, NY, the envelope is stamped (not run through a postage machine) and cancelled in Houston, TX, and the phone number I'm supposed to call before cashing the check has a Canadian area code.;) My guess is that I'm supposed to cash it, refund any "processing fees", and then rejoice in my good luck...until the check turns out to be bogus and I'm out the amount I refunded. It's an old scam but I'm half-tempted to call, but only from somebody else's phone.;)

I did some online research and any PCH awards of $500+ are delivered in person by the "Prize Patrol", so unless Marie Osmond shows up and personally vouches for the check I'm not taking the bait.;)

Brad, isn't it a shame that things are soo bad for some that they have to resort to scamming/spamming other people just to make a living. I can't get over how many spams are accumulating in my e-mail. And the phone calls........:mad:

You are better off buying 5 different sets of numbers, assuming that if any set of numbers wins, one other person played those same numbers and you only get half the jackpot. Five chances to win half the jackpot is better than one chance to win 5/6 of the jackpot.

Back