Well, Here's How I Thought It Went

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

For a first time cook of Boston Butts, I think things went really well. My wife and I just had some sandwiches with potatoe salad. She's my toughest and most loyal critic and she thought the meat was superb. My wife prefers a pretty mild barbeque sauce so she fixed her own. I love a much more zappy flavor that I order from Goode's. Perhaps some of you can suggest a brand. I hear TeadyBear makes a pretty mean q sauce. Maybe, just maybe, down the road I'll make my own sauce.

Got the butts yesterday. Dusted them with one of Traeger's pork rubs, then applied some yellow mustard. Wrapped in saran wrap and let 'em sit though the night. Got them out at 7 this morning and had them cooking by 9. Dome thermometer read 325 when I put the butts on. Dropped and I used the vents to hold 'er at 285. (I've got to get thermometers for the grates) Temp held rock steady at 280-285 dome temp. Foiled at 1pm. Took them off the rack at 5 and sat for 30 minutes. Pulled and eating by 6pm.

The briquetts were fickle today. (See prior post today.) I was afraid Minion Method wouldn't work so I fired up some charcoal at the 3 and 6 hour mark and added it. A pain but I wanted to make sure I maintained my heat. I'll solve the storage question by next weekend when I want to barbeque a turkey.

I took pictures but they're not digital. I'll add some when the disk comes from Wally World.

Thanks to all for helping me this weekend. With the WSM and the folks on this forum, it just about impossible to mess up a cooking session. I can't say, "Thank you!" enough.

Oh, BTW, I used covered sand in the pan. I don't think I'll ever go back. The clean-up was a hundred times easier and I saw and tasted no difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back