WEBR reports sales and plans with Q3 results

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Weber shares are fired up despite weak JunQ numbers as investors focus on cost-savings plan
10:44 AM ET 8/15/22 | Briefing.com

Weber (WEBR +17%) shares are fired up today despite the grill maker posting its fourth-straight quarterly net loss in Q3 (Jun). WEBR also saw revs fall 21.1% yr/yr to $527.8 mln as inflationary pressures continued to weigh on consumer confidence in each of its markets.

Meanwhile, gross margins contracted 1,560 bps yr/yr to 29.1%. Most of the decline can be attributed to commodity cost increases and the considerable drop in sales yr/yr. Still, a few other factors pressured margins in the quarter, including lower production volume due to suppressed consumer demand, FX headwinds, and higher promotional activity to assist struggling sales growth. WEBR expects these hurdles to persist over the near term.

So why is the stock so hot today?
As his first full quarter at the helm, interim CEO Alan Matula outlined further cost-saving details to help WEBR push through the incredibly challenging macro environment, which is throwing a one-two punch of higher grill and meat prices. For example, Tyson Foods (TSN) saw chicken prices surge by over 20% yr/yr in JunQ and is witnessing softer consumer demand for premium cuts of beef. The new cost initiatives center around preserving WEBR's overall cash position. Alongside the previously announced dividend suspension, WEBR plans to reduce its headcount by 10%. Management commented that these cost-saving measures are already underway and should favorably impact Q4 (Sep) and FY23. Investors may also be reacting positively after similarly lackluster JunQ earnings results from competitor Traeger (COOK) last week, which also introduced details on a cost reduction plan. Along with similar measures as WEBR, COOK's strategy also involved having to suspend operations of its meal kits business and postpone its near-shoring efforts by halting plans for production in Mexico. However, unlike WEBR, COOK did not expect its initiatives to materially impact FY22 margins. In total, WEBR expects its cost-saving initiatives to create at least $110 mln of yr/yr cash benefit after restructuring costs in FY23. When combing these factors with short interest standing at nearly 56%, shares are sizzling today.

Overall, investors are looking past WEBR's paltry Q3 numbers and applauding its moves to navigate this tricky environment, where grill prices continue to tick up in tandem with meat prices. However, given the current market dynamics, we would employ a wait-and-see attitude as consumers demonstrate a hesitancy toward higher discretionary purchases, such as grills, shifting their tastes toward experiences like travel.

On a final note, WEBR mentioned that foot traffic at U.S. home improvement retailers was down 16% YTD compared to the prior year, raising the concern for Home Depot (HD) and Lowe's (LOW), which will report JulQ earnings on August 16 and 17, respectively.

The Restructuring Plan

MW Weber stock rockets after launch of cost-cutting plan that could save the company $110 million next year
12:44 PM ET 8/15/22 | MarketWatch

By Tomi Kilgore

Shares of Weber Inc. soared in active trading Monday, after the outdoor grill maker announced a plan to cut costs and preserve liquidity as rising inflation and supply chain disruptions have led to slower retail traffic and yet another wider-than-expected loss.

The stock (WEBR) shot up as much as 21.2% in intraday trading before paring gains to be up 7.5% in midday trading. Trading volume swelled to 2.7 million shares, compared with the full-day average over the past 30 days of about 568,400 shares.

The stock has now gained 19.8% since closing at a record low of $6.21 on Aug. 1, but was still trading 46.9% below its initial public offering price of $14.

The company reported before Monday's open that it swung to a fiscal third-quarter net loss for the quarter to June 30 of $7.5 million, or 41 cents a share, from net income of $17.8 million in the same period a year ago. (There are no per-share results available last year since the company went public in August 2021.)

The losses were much wider than the average analyst per-share loss estimate of 7 cents, according to FactSet. That was the third-straight quarter that Weber has reported a wider-than-anticipated loss.

Sales fell 21.1% to $527.9 million, which topped the FactSet consensus of $526.2 million.

Meanwhile, costs of goods sold (COGS) increased 1.2% to $374.3 million, as gross margin contracted to 29.1% from 44.7%.

In late July, Weber warned that third-quarter sales would fall into the $525 million-to-$530 million range, which was below expectations at that time of $532.7 million, because of pressures from inflation, rising fuel prices and supply-chain challenges. The company also announced at that time that then-Chief Executive Chris Scherzinger was leaving the company.

Weber said when it issued its sales warning that it was pursuing a number of financial transformation initiatives, that included the suspension of its quarterly dividend and may include workforce cuts.

On Monday, the company said it initiated the plan, which it believes will provide a "cash benefit" of at least $110 million in fiscal 2023, with a "run-rate benefit" beyond that.

Here are the core components of the plan:

"Our third-quarter performance reflects the margin pressures we are experiencing as a result of global headwinds in our current operating environment," Interim Chief Executive Alan Matula said. "To strengthen our financial position for fiscal year 2023 and beyond, we are introducing a comprehensive cash flow and cost management plan, which will position Weber to enhance its leadership position in a dynamic outdoor cooking market."

The company said it planned to cut capital expenditures, which should save at least $30 million in fiscal 2023, and its workforce reduction is expected to save at least $20 million next year.

To ease supply chain constraints, the company has implemented a "Make Where We Sell" strategy, which should cut manufacturing and transportation costs, improve customer service and diversify its global manufacturing footprint.

Weber's stock has tumbled 42.5% year to date, while shares of fellow grill maker Traeger Inc. (COOK), which went public a week before Weber, have plunged 69.2%. In comparison, the S&P 500 index has lost 9.9% this year.

Don't miss: Grill companies Weber and Traeger went public during BBQ season. Data shows one has the financial edge.

People who bought that spike this morning getting killed already, short covering I suspect. This and we will see seems to be a silly statement: "On a final note, WEBR mentioned that foot traffic at U.S. home improvement retailers was down 16% YTD compared to the prior year, raising the concern for Home Depot (HD) and Lowe's (LOW), which will report JulQ earnings on August 16 and 17, respectively."

So maybe HD and Lowes sold double the cheap gassers or whatever instead of a 1300 Genesis or maybe it appears all grill sales have stalled which is probably true not sure how much this would really greatly impact those 2 companies anyway. They were only stocking Weber gassers a few kettles no Smokefires or Performers. I would think Ace got hurt more as they do sell gassers and performers.

People who bought that spike this morning getting killed already, short covering I suspect. This and we will see seems to be a silly statement: "On a final note, WEBR mentioned that foot traffic at U.S. home improvement retailers was down 16% YTD compared to the prior year, raising the concern for Home Depot (HD) and Lowe's (LOW), which will report JulQ earnings on August 16 and 17, respectively."

So maybe HD and Lowes sold double the cheap gassers or whatever instead of a 1300 Genesis or maybe it appears all grill sales have stalled which is probably true not sure how much this would really greatly impact those 2 companies anyway. They were only stocking Weber gassers a few kettles no Smokefires or Performers. I would think Ace got hurt more as they do sell gassers and performers.
Observationally, Costco didn't have the usual grill selections they've had in years past this season. And Traeger usually had "events" in Costco where a roadshow was set up to drive sales with a manned human to push products.

Brett in my Costco they still have one model weber gasser think its like 900 bucks. They kind have been pushing the Kitchen Aid stuff, a few models of Traeger, stocking the MB charcoal gravity feed still but you are right I was in mine Saturday the grill area is very small much smaller than years past not alot of inventory for them to worry about so they are not going to be stuck with much and at this point they are not going to re-order anything.

Weber and Cook at this point are probably 2024 stories would not touch either one of those stocks with a ten foot pole. Neither one of them has alot of cash lying around so cutting back was a no brainer. I would expect the old days of Weber Customer Service are over with cutbacks and I would expect a much more disciplined warranty policy, out of warrantly sorry you need to pay. Bought a used Smokefire Gen 1 for cheap no receipt sorry we are not sending you parts for fee anymore might be wrong. Dumping a bunch of execs also.

Brett in my Costco they still have one model weber gasser think its like 900 bucks. They kind have been pushing the Kitchen Aid stuff, a few models of Traeger, stocking the MB charcoal gravity feed still but you are right I was in mine Saturday the grill area is very small much smaller than years past not alot of inventory for them to worry about so they are not going to be stuck with much and at this point they are not going to re-order anything.

Weber and Cook at this point are probably 2024 stories would not touch either one of those stocks with a ten foot pole. Neither one of them has alot of cash lying around so cutting back was a no brainer. I would expect the old days of Weber Customer Service are over with cutbacks and I would expect a much more disciplined warranty policy, out of warrantly sorry you need to pay. Bought a used Smokefire Gen 1 for cheap no receipt sorry we are not sending you parts for fee anymore might be wrong. Dumping a bunch of execs also.
and the tight headcount is how it should be. lean and mean and make profits. and trim the product line is next. a tight set of SKUs the sell through is key to profitable inventory turn and sell through.

from my last product COOK matrix, i don't see how in the world they can sell $3k pellet poopers. i just don't get it, at all.

i'm waiting for the workforce to realign so i can hire someone. i've been running a hiring add for 50 days and the response rate is garbage. clearly people must be rich and not need to work. i just don't understand the current workforce or economy. clearly, i'm the stoopy one.

Jon, as our resident CPA take a look at the transcript and give your thoughts. I am a former finance guy not a CPA retired as a sales guy more money but whatever. I noticed more than a few things that are alarming in the transcript no need to spell them out take a look.

This one kind of sticks out: "We have sufficient cash and cash equivalents, including net cash provided by operating activities and availability under our credit facility to fund our operations and capital expenditures through fiscal year 2022."

Keep in mind their Fiscal year ends 9-30 I believe.

Last edited:
Keep in mind their Fiscal year ends 9-30 I believe.
sounds correct as Q3 was just reported (today) so we are in Q4 as this is happening. this years sales are done. they're working on next years production projections and booking orders those orders.

In the US the box stores won't be putting in orders till end of December for 2022. In the ATL they usually start putting grills on the floor late Feb so no need for them to order till the end of year or maybe January.

In the US the box stores won't be putting in orders till end of December for 2022. In the ATL they usually start putting grills on the floor late Feb so no need for them to order till the end of year or maybe January.
yes, that's when orders are placed and bound. but orders are sold as packages starting soon/now for the different level dealers Weber has. different resellers get different pricing based on volume. IMO opinion, online sales will own or already owns the sales channel. i rarely go to any store these days to buy stuff. i bought my E6 with a call to my local ACE. never went to a store and never saw the E6 pre-purchase. it was delivered on a Saturday and my son built it for me.

do people still go to HD to buy a brand name grill? does HD or Lowes even sell mid to higher end grills?

i haven't been to an auto dealership since 2001 to buy a new car. i just buy from private parties, fly or drive to get my car and bring it home; or ship it via carrier. once again, i don't think my experiences are anything like the normal market. but i have to think more and more people don't have time for the BS part of buying stuff. it's all transactional these days.

On a final note, WEBR mentioned that foot traffic at U.S. home improvement retailers was down 16% YTD compared to the prior year, raising the concern for Home Depot (HD) and Lowe's (LOW), which will report JulQ earnings on August 16 and 17, respectively.
Home Depot beat did not change their guidance expect tomorrow Lowes will beat also.

Home Depot beat did not change their guidance expect tomorrow Lowes will beat also.

Higher prices may have turned some inflation-addled customers away from big-ticket items such as grills and mowers, but spending in paint and other large renovation categories has remained strong, the company said.

it'll be interesting to see if this induced recession is a soft landing or a hard one. inflation still needs to get under control. i've seen housing take its first hit in our local market and another one i track, las vegas.

i'll wait patiently for value to return to the markets to make a few moves.

Higher prices may have turned some inflation-addled customers away from big-ticket items such as grills and mowers, but spending in paint and other large renovation categories has remained strong, the company said.
John alot of this stuff depends where you are at. I bought a new mower this year always a Honda had the first one for 16 years so it was not like I really had a choice nor since I had the first one for that long a period I was not worried about spending another 160 more than I did for the first one. I just had the house painted after 13 years or so 7k, new gutters 2k, last year a new roof 15k luckily only 2k out of my pocket as we had a freak hail storm a year ago so they covered it. It had to be done and I am not going anywhere bought my house new in 96. Had the interior repainted every room last year paid someone to do that but did my basement myself all that paint came from HD.

Everybody has a different timetable to do this stuff so not surprised about their statement about renovation categories remaining strong. again most of the people in my neighborhood are staying put there are contractors doing renovations all over the place every day I leave the neighborhood.

John alot of this stuff depends where you are at. I bought a new mower this year always a Honda had the first one for 16 years so it was not like I really had a choice nor since I had the first one for that long a period I was not worried about spending another 160 more than I did for the first one. I just had the house painted after 13 years or so 7k, new gutters 2k, last year a new roof 15k luckily only 2k out of my pocket as we had a freak hail storm a year ago so they covered it. It had to be done and I am not going anywhere bought my house new in 96. Had the interior repainted every room last year paid someone to do that but did my basement myself all that paint came from HD.

Everybody has a different timetable to do this stuff so not surprised about their statement about renovation categories remaining strong. again most of the people in my neighborhood are staying put there are contractors doing renovations all over the place every day I leave the neighborhood.
Yes, I thought putting grills (not really essential) and lawnmowers together was odd.

When my lawnmower broke a few years ago in the middle of the summer, I needed to replace it.

When my Weber stopped functioning in the beginning of this summer, well…we cooked in the kitchen until I got (at a leisurely pace) it up and running.

But the fact remains that if some people are being squeezed by higher costs for food, fuel and housing they will be spending less money on camping gear, home furnishings and bbq grills.

John alot of this stuff depends where you are at. I bought a new mower this year always a Honda had the first one for 16 years so it was not like I really had a choice nor since I had the first one for that long a period I was not worried about spending another 160 more than I did for the first one
It's too bad it only lasted 16 years. My Toro lawnmower is 26 years old and still works great! I do have a Honda string trimmer though, it's only 20 years old. It's not running that great right now because I think it needs a new carburetor. I'll order a new one and fix it myself. I try not to pay people to do things I can do myself, it has saved me tremendous amounts of money over the years. I also recently finished remodeling my master bathroom. I took it down to the studs and replaced everything. I'm sure I saved at least $15,000 by doing it myself. I'm not a tradesman, just someone who has a family and a lot of bills to pay, and it's not getting any easier.

Yeah only 16 years? I would not buy another of anything that only lasted 16 years :D. Of course then too I rarely buy anything new.

Well to be fair to the Honda the motor still runs fine the rear wheels started locking up when pulling it backwards there is a fix which was probably $100 I figured got my money out of it gave it to my son in law who is moving into a new house end of month as he does not have a mower. I am 68 figured it was the last mower I was ever going to buy and I wanted the blade clutch which I did not have before.

He will eventually end up with that one down the road. :)

Back