Weber's Char Baskets Come Thru for Steak

tjkoko

TVWBB All-Star
I premeasured one, only one, Char Basket (hereafter CB) with unlit Kingsford and then lit them in the Chimney. Once lit, the charcoal was poured into the CB and the CB was placed on the bottom grate near one side. With the grill in place the kettle was allowed to reach temperature in about fifteen minutes. The rib eye was seared directly over the CB for three minutes per side and then plated. I used my Thermapen and the temp was approx. 125F. The steak was seared on both sides, the char tasted great and not burnt. The color of the interior meat was a dark dark pink without being bloody red. Perfect. Great flavor Gotta' love those CB's.

I'm curious. How thick was the steak? If I cook thick Ribeyes or thick New York strip, stuff that you get at Publix supermarket, that seem to be about an inch to an inch and a quarter thick, and assuming I leave them at room temperature for 30 minutes before I throw them on the grill, it takes me about 4 minutes per side.

And that's on my anodized aluminum GrillGrates!!

But you're just doing it over the charcoal basket. I think I want to try that technique.

CBs are the secret to perfect food. All these cooks are done with CBs and make the perfect sear.

Attachments

• F8CAA0DC-77C6-473A-A5CA-27D992FBF032.jpeg
    F8CAA0DC-77C6-473A-A5CA-27D992FBF032.jpeg
    246.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 68CBA655-004B-4C1A-8E88-C37945A69B75.jpeg
    68CBA655-004B-4C1A-8E88-C37945A69B75.jpeg
    162.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 7C3529FF-A0D2-48D1-90B9-21C4BE6D4F72.jpeg
    7C3529FF-A0D2-48D1-90B9-21C4BE6D4F72.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 37
I'm curious. How thick was the steak? If I cook thick Ribeyes or thick New York strip, stuff that you get at Publix supermarket, that seem to be about an inch to an inch and a quarter thick, and assuming I leave them at room temperature for 30 minutes before I throw them on the grill, it takes me about 4 minutes per side.

And that's on my anodized aluminum GrillGrates!!

But you're just doing it over the charcoal basket. I think I want to try that technique.
At least 1 1/2 inches thick. Not even close to 1 inch.

If I'm not using the vortex in the performer the coals are in the charcoal baskets.. Use the gas assist to light the coals then move the baskets to where I want them.

If I'm not using the vortex in the performer the coals are in the charcoal baskets.. Use the gas assist to light the coals then move the baskets to where I want them.
Same method I use! I have not used a full spread of charcoal on the bottom rack in twenty-five years or more!

Back