Weber Summit door won't stay open

Kevin_K

I just bought a new Weber Summit E-470 and am finding that one of the doors won't stay open - if you open it and let go, it just swings shut and closes. I already had both doors replaced once under warranty because the original pair had different issues (bent frame and magnets recessed inside the door body such that they didn't make contact with the grill frame to hold the door closed).

I'm aware of the adjustment nut underneath the door's bottom mounting point but it seems the door's bottom mounting pin can't be moved far enough to the right within the mounting hole to prevent the behavior described above. The door is always slightly crooked with respect to the frame of the grill and consequently always swings shut on its own.

Is there any way to fix this? Maybe some type of washer or offset can be added to the mounting point? While it obviously doesn't impact the grill's ability to cook food and the door can always be held open manually, it's pretty disappointing to see this type of an issue on such an expensive grill. The doors in general seem surprisingly flimsy compared to the rest of the grill.

Given that this issue only occurs on one door, my suspicion is that there is some type of tolerance/manufacturing defect present in the mounting points for the door, but I could be wrong.

I've contacted Weber about this issue and they want me to send a video, but I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone else has had this issue before and already knows if there is a fix or not.

When doors open or close by themselves something is out of plumb.
If your grill is on a relative level area and moving it around doesent help then it must be a frame or mounting point issue.

When doors open or close by themselves something is out of plumb.
If your grill is on a relative level area and moving it around doesent help then it must be a frame or mounting point issue.

The area seems level. The grill doesn't wobble on its base. Is there any specific test I could do to make sure this isn't the issue?

If it's a frame or mounting point issue, how would I fix it?

This is much more common than it should be and I've seen the same thing on many of the twin door models in all trim levels for years now. I don't think there's a consistent means of fixing it easily and I'm pretty confident that Weber will prove to be of no help in resolving the issue, unfortunately. You either get lucky with components that match up nicely and perform as they should or you're stuck dealing with issues like this. You might be able to sleeve one of the pins with a plastic insert bushing and save yourself a lot of frustration. Good luck. We're cheering for you.

You could try vinyl washers on the pin or use a wood or composite tapered shim under the front wheel and see if that throws it back to plumb.
If that bracket is bent, leaning forward or out of square thats prolly the issue.

The area seems level. The grill doesn't wobble on its base. Is there any specific test I could do to make sure this isn't the issue?

If it's a frame or mounting point issue, how would I fix it?
use an spirit bubble level at the grates to see if the grill is indeed flat on both axes on its plane.

most patios have a grade to move water away from a home. so depending on your actual grade, your grill doors may or may not be effected by any grade. non-wobble just means a flat surface but not a neutral surface (no pitch or grade).

most patios have a grade to move water away from a home. so depending on your actual grade, your grill doors may or may not be effected by any grade. non-wobble just means a flat surface but not a neutral surface (no pitch or grade).
Yep usually a 1/4" per foot drop.
If the grill is set up parallel to the house then it should be level side to side but drop a 1/4" per foot front to back. ( so the doors should swing open by them selves)
If set up perpendicular to the house (the long way) the one door will want to swing open while the other door will want to swing close.

Back