Weber Smoker for Genesis Silver B 2001

Jeff Padell

TVWBB Pro
I replaced the crossover tube on the Silver B and decided to try to see how the smoker unit I bought years ago worked. I was pleased although it mostly burned the chips at the front end while that back end was barely started.
Oh and forgive me Weber for I have sinned, but I use everything I have. The wife doesn't like smoked chicken so I decided to do the Big Easy oil-less turkey frier for a 7 pound chicken, came out well.

P5040198_zps4c019170.jpg

P5040198_zps4c019170.jpg

P5040197_zpsd3ca823b.jpg

P5040200_zps91b7ac6f.jpg

P5040202_zps2573ffe1.jpg

We have the Big Easy too. Every Easter and Thanksgiving we're away camping. The Weber Q won't manage a 14 lb. turkey but the Big Easy does nicely, and without the mess of an oil fryer not to mention the price of oil.

How do you like the big easy versus chickens from the wsm? I have wanted one for years but can not justify the purchase with all the other cooking toys. I have a friend who actually does butts in his but not sure how that turns out. Chicken looks great.

They are apples and oranges, the WSM can make bite through skin but it won't burn it to a crisp if you want. I have been trying to find what temp the Big Easy cooks at, with the top on it is way up there, at a guess 800 (but that is just a guess) but due to the infrared cooking it stays very moist. It doesn't get the crunch of a oil fried chicken but close.

The one I did yesterday was pretty bad as far as I "tried something" using a salt rub and then chilled for 3 hours. The salt went through the whole bird, to me it is ruined but that is how you learn!

The Big E is super easy to use, just turn it on, with maybe a 30 second warm up and then put in what your cooking and then later take it out, done. It was $70 at Home Depot about the price of a brisket, oh and I bet you could do a brisket in it

To me it is just one more tool to use on the patio.

Buddy has a Big Easy and we each made a turkey for Thanksgiving. (mine on the WSM)
Everyone agreed both were leaps and bounds better than oven roasted, but couldn't pick a favorite between ours.
That's a win in my book. :)

For crispyness (is that a word?) I prefer the Big Easy also for ease of use it's the Big Easy (hence it's name). Light it, put it in, take it out - easy

for fun, for the challenge, for the smoke, I prefer the WSM :wsm:

They each have their place in my toolbox

Can't help but notice the heat sheilds on the back burners look significantly different than the front 2, and since your wood chips didn't burn evenly I'm wondering if all the burners are working correctly? are you getting even heat? (you could always do the bread test...cover the grates in slices of bread and see if they all toast evenly...)??

They are all stainless heat sheilds, I had changed them around the other day when I used the Rib-o-lator, the darker ones are covered in gunk and were at the back where I usually cook.

I think part of the problem may have been that I had only the front burner lit and the crossover bar lit, that may have something to do with it. I will experiment with lighing 2 burners then 3 burners etc.

Back