Weber Rack Brisket

Dave from Denver

TVWBB Wizard
After seeing so many good threads about Weber expandable rack cooking I just had to buy myself one, so I got one for the 22" WSM.

The thing is very sturdy and fits neatly on the tabs for the upper cooking grate. The hooks provided by weber were a bit tricky to figure out but I trusted them, and they seem sturdy enough to hang most things.

Since Brisket remains a tough meat for me to get cooked exactly how I'd like I figured it was a good place to start with my new rack. I got a 12 pound CAB packer, cut about 4 inches off the flat for other uses, trimmed, and rubbed with SPOG, and injected with beef broth and fish sauce.

Did a minion start, with 15 lit coals over a couple layers of KBB with mesquite chunks mixed in. Didn't really fuss with temperature control, left 2 open and 1 all the way closed for the whole cook.

Did I mention the weather was perfect? One of these things is not like the others!
Yr9pzht.png

After about 5 hours. Should've adjusted for ambient temps probably, as I had to add some coals.

dzl6D6O.png

Came off after probed tender, about 205 at the low end and 199 at the top. You can see some burn/ashy marks where the brisket fell on the coals for a moment when I was unracking it. Need to work on my technique, there! :rolleyes:

itJ0OS8.png

Sliced

qbdqz9A.png

So, I'm not exaggerating when I say this is hands down the best brisket ever. I was impressed with the rack, and the crust that developed was so salty and crunchy and delicious, it doesn't tasted burned at all. This is the first time where I've had juice coming out of the brisket after slicing if I pressed down. It's even juicy cold out of the fridge today AND the crust stayed crunchy.

The bottom half inch or so of the flat (hanging down) was lost to waste because it was dessicated and hard. So, next time I'll hang the point facing down.

Anyway, thanks for looking. I strongly recommend this accessory after only one cook, if you're on the fence about buying it.

I would say that Brisket is no longer a tough meat for you to cook, you nailed it!! Nice, NICE NICE!

That is awesome! Is the second pic exactly the setup you ran? No heat shield at all? Did you do a snake style minion or lay some lit coals on top of non-lit? I'm extremely curious about this, the fact that you didn't mention any hot spots or overcooked/burnt spots on the brisket is awesome. Good work!

Steve the second photo is the setup how it cooked the whole time. No heat baffle was used.

I didn't use any special snake method, since I wasn't trying to moderate the heat in the cooker. I just spread the lit coals all over the unlit like usual.

There weren't any burned spots except where I dropped the brisket on the coals. But the bottom edge of the hanging brisket cooked so thoroughly as to be hard and uncuttable so I didn't try to eat it, it went in the trash and to the dog, she was able to eat it.

Back