Weber Q rusted grill grates

John Crumbs

Greetings - 1st time poster - hope this is in the the right thread
I have a Weber Q 3000 from about 12 years ago.
My 2nd set of grill grates is rusted beyond salvageability.
The rest of the BBQ is in very good shape.
I am thinking of just buying a set of stainless steel grill grates and laying them over the damaged weber cast iron grill grates. I know there will probably be a size issue and I don’t mind not getting a perfect fit
Your thoughts please.

There is a whole thread on stainless grates I'll post a link to. It's controversial. I, too, use my Weber Q a lot, now that the kids are raised, it gets the most use out of all my cookers for just the wife and me. But I don't find getting new cast iron grates every few years that onerous.

Here is a link to the Stanbroil grates, still fairly economical.

Here is a link to the discussion here:

These cast iron grates are highly rated, but less expensive than Weber OEM grates.

The Weber brand grates are $98 at bbqguys.com with free shipping.

My current grates are the after-market type, not sure if the same brand as my first link, but about half the price of Weber and I like them. I do not clean my grates after cooking, I just leave food on them, turn off the regulator, then the gas bottle (I have a regulator for a full-size bottle). I just brush them off after pre-heating on next cook. No grate cleaner, no washing, occasionally, I'll brush the underside, but mine seem to hold up fairly well.

If you're only through two sets in 12 years, I'd say just get new cast iron. Seriously, how bad is 6 years for a $45 grate? OK, say 5, since it sounds like yours should have been replaced last year. I love the 9mm stainless grates on my Ace SA-E-330, but I like the cast iron for the Q better.

Good luck!

I would go with the stanbroil SS grates. A couple years ago them made a different style and I picked up a set for about $30 and LOVE them. But that was a close out sale and they no longer make them.

I finally finished all 10 pages of that thread, read to the end, the consensus seems to be that a plate type stainless is better than the rod type for the Weber Q.

The problem is that I don't know of a source for those style of grates any longer.

Well, many folks like the Stanbroil grates. I love the heavy, 9mm in my new Genesis II, but for me, I just replace the cast irons in my Q when they get bad. But they last a long time, in my experience.

Remember the Q is designed to work partially as a "griddle" not an actual "grill". Because of not having any "tents" over the flavorizer bars they rely on the CI grate to perform that feat. Rod grates are not the best choice for the Q because of that. A while ago Bruce and I bought some heavy SS flat stock grates. They're thick and heavy and do the job very similar to the original CI ones. There is someone in Germany selling them made out of 304SS for the Q. I am sure they're wonderful but VERY expensive. Honestly for as cheap as decent CI grates are, just view them as a cost of "operation". You will be WAY better off than trying to adapt rod grates which will really not do the job the way the grill was designed to operate

Back