Weber Q 3200 "out of round" - grates won't stay up

Scott Shank

I have a curb-rescue Q 3200. After a little TLC with the powerwasher and a bunch of scrubbing, I've found it lights up just dandy and gets right hot before too long. Grates are in OK shape, but still dirty. Igniter does not work; deal with that later...

The main problem is that the grill seems to be ever so slightly out of shape, such that the stand-offs that hold up the grates some small fraction of a millimeter too far apart, so a stiff breeze will blow the grates off those supports. I am guessing the temps got out of hand, or it got dropped or hit with the car or something in its prior life and the fire box warped some. The lid fits fine, so that's still inside the spec anyway.

I know it's aluminum and I'd guess I don't want to go banging on it too much. I stuck a bar clamp on it (gently), and it's possible to bend it back, but obviously it will spring right back. It would only need to move about 1/8th of an inch to be perfectly serviceable.

Has anyone had this happen, and is there a way to finagle this short of dragging it to someone to weld new supports on it? I thought of trying to use some kind of ranbom stainless steel bits to either pad out the supports or the grates themselves; I don't weld.

Don't rule out that the grates are not within spec. I have had 5 or 6 Q3xx grills and none had the problem you describe. Sure happens with the Genesis grills though.

No problem to fix. I have had the same problem. You will need 2 boards and 2 or 3 clamps. Take off the lid, put the boards and clamps on the front and back of firebox and slowly tighten. Keep doing that over 1 to 2 days until grates stay where they are supposed to.

Caution, you could wind up with a cracked cook box. No saying don't do it, but just be careful and be aware of the risks.

Bruce is right it is a possibility and I should have stated slowly and incrementally. As squeeze a little at a time, test, tighten some more, etc. Give the metal a chance to shape.

Back