Weber Q 1200 Won't Light

Andy Erickson

TVWBB Pro
Not getting gas to come out of the burner tube. I've already cleaned everything out, but it is almost like the regulator isn't allowing any gas to come through. Any suggestions? I haven't used it in about a year, but have already cleaned out any debris or spider webs. Not sure what else to do other than order a new regulator.

Hi Andy, sounds like a regulator. You could try disconnecting the tank and reconnecting. You can tap on the regulator with a wooden block to see if it unsticks. Worth a try but don’t spend more than 15 minutes trying.

Your options are a new Q regulator $50 to 60

Delete the Q regulator and go with a regular grill regulator hose assembly about $30.00 and use 20lb tanks.

It could be the valve as well. I would start with a new tank of propane.
I had a Weber Flame and was not getting gas flow. I took the valve out and took it apart and a rice sized insect pupa fell out.

20200822 Weber flame Valve cleaning (4x).jpg

Thanks for the responses. I tried different tanks. Going to try and reset the regulator. I use an adapter to run my 20 lb tank. Sounds like I'm opening it up too fast. Never knew that before. If that doesn't work, going to replumb it. Thanks.

My bet is the tank adapter and opening too fast is the issue. I just assumed you were on 1lb cans.

Make sure that you first open the tank for at least ten minutes. Then open the regulator and try. If it does not light, turn off the regulator and then the tank. Wait 10 minutes and turn open the tank. Then turn on the regulator and try to light it again. If no go then most likely the regulator. But make sure all the jets and valves are operational and clean. I actually use a vac/pressure gauge hand pump tool to test the regulator. In all the old and I mean old regulators I have I have only had one bad one.

Make sure that you first open the tank for at least ten minutes. Then open the regulator and try. If it does not light, turn off the regulator and then the tank. Wait 10 minutes and turn open the tank. Then turn on the regulator and try to light it again. If no go then most likely the regulator. But make sure all the jets and valves are operational and clean. I actually use a vac/pressure gauge hand pump tool to test the regulator. In all the old and I mean old regulators I have I have only had one bad one.
I tried to reset the regulator and that didn't work even after opening the gas as slow as possible. I just ordered the parts to do this.

Back