Weber Kettle Premium Lid Holder

Bill Hall

TVWBB Fan
I noticed when I utilize the lid holder that is welded to the underside of the lid, the rim of the lid scrapes up against the aluminum legs. Anyone not use the lid holder because of this? I understand its an outdoor grill but I like to keep my kettles and cookers looking nice. I've been just setting it down on an outdoor grill mat instead of using the holder until I can find something to stick to the leg to prevent it from being scratched up. Anyone have any tricks or remedies?

You could always add a lid bale, but that would involve drilling three holes. Not overly complicated.

Something like this, or you could order direct by calling Weber.
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07N1463WT/tvwb-20

And here is a no-drill option:
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00026CU14/tvwb-20

I primarily grill on a Performer and love the lid bale feature.
I’ve actually seen the no drill option from Amazon before in person. It was cool, but doesn’t allow the lid to seal well. If you were doing a hot and fast cook it wouldn’t be a big deal but don’t think you could keep temps low if you wanted. Thought about the hinge but nervous about drilling holes.

I’ve actually seen the no drill option from Amazon before in person. It was cool, but doesn’t allow the lid to seal well. If you were doing a hot and fast cook it wouldn’t be a big deal but don’t think you could keep temps low if you wanted. Thought about the hinge but nervous about drilling holes.
I've never seen the no-drill option before. Your point about the controlling lower temps makes sense.

If you drill with nice cobalt bits at a medium speed it's not a big deal. Just double-triple check you are drilling in the right spot. Start with a small sized bit and work your way up.

That hinge is pretty cool. I keep eyeing those cobalt step drill bits...by the time I get a set of those and the hinge I could just about buy another new kettle! Still, it is a cool thing.

On my 06 OTG I used to hook it on the handle, found that much easier than trying to hook it on the bowl.
I did add a slide-aside and after awhile the gunk builds up enough to give a good seal. I also had the condiment and tool holder and they used the same hooks as the slide-aside.

Tim

My issue with that hook on the underside is that it kept slipping off, and eventually the lid hit the ground enough times that it was no longer true (wobbled).

I harvested the good part out of that kettle (lower vents) and installed them on the master touch. Can you just install that master touch wire thing to hold the lid back for you while you tend to the meats?

My issue with that hook on the underside is that it kept slipping off, and eventually the lid hit the ground enough times that it was no longer true (wobbled).

I harvested the good part out of that kettle (lower vents) and installed them on the master touch. Can you just install that master touch wire thing to hold the lid back for you while you tend to the meats?
Life with a master touch is just better, i always dropped lids.

Life with a master touch is just better, i always dropped lids.
I probably should have bought a MasterTouch but I wanted the green color the Premium comes in. I’m also not a fan of the GBS grate and already had a bracket for the lid vent like the MasterTouch. You live and learn. Maybe there will be a 26er in my future with the lid bail.

On my 06 OTG I used to hook it on the handle, found that much easier than trying to hook it on the bowl.
I did add a slide-aside and after awhile the gunk builds up enough to give a good seal. I also had the condiment and tool holder and they used the same hooks as the slide-aside.

Tim
You didn’t have a problem keeping temps low after some build up? I might order one and at least try it out. There’s so many options on Amazon now it’s crazy. It seems like as soon as Weber stopped making them, 30 other company’s started. I’ll have to find one with good reviews.

When my platinum went through some really miserable straight line winds, the lid was hit with a piece of walnut tree. I know I had registered it when I bought it so, I figured they had the information on file but, I think I got a rookie who did t know where to find things so, they sent me a basic 22” lid with the inner hook which I keep meaning to cut off but, it’s been since 2013 and I have just learned how to turn the thing around when I need to or, use the hook on the bale, that gives a bit more room.

Going to try a find a Weber one instead of a replica.
Yea i thought they quit making them.
The thing about the slide-aside vs the lid bale thingy is that the S-A holds the lid more open like 90 deg compared to like 70 deg on the lid bale.
I have both on two different kettles and like the extra room on the Slide-aside.
Tim

Back