Weber Imperial Sequoia Restoration Help

ChelseaW

I recently have come across a forgotten 1981 Imperial Sequoia I think with the copper mist color before it was dropped off at a dump. The old weber catalogue said it was available with the chocolate color. I would like to attempt to restore it and have seen some before and after pictures but not a lot of information on the in between steps, most specifically how to split it into the 6 or so large sections like another user had. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or links to help? I am new to wood restoration as well, so I am going to try to save all the original wood if possible. I have attached a beginning picture before I knew how lucky of a find I had. Thank you!

IMG_8138.jpg
IMG_8137.jpg

Welcome to the forum Chelsea. You will like it here. Looks like a great find! I like that you plan to save and restore the wood. Some great threads on here about restoring with certain products that work well. Please send updates as you make progress.

Wow, Chelsea, that is an incredible find. I don’t know a lot about wood working, so I can only cheer you on. From what I have seen about these it appears most of the wood is the same size. Probably redwood which is very difficult to source except out west. I like saving what you can, but some probabis too far gone. You might try to reuse bottom pieces that are in better shape to replace top ones that aren’t and put replacement wood on the bottom where not so visible.

Depending on what shape the underside is you could do an old carpenter trick and flip the boards with the good side up.
If that don't work you could try a wood epoxy to seal the cracks and splits.

Tim

I missed this post back in July.

One word of advice to you and anyone else with a colored kettle. Do not use oven cleaner on the exterior of the kettle to clean it, especially if the paint is already starting to chip or pop. The oven cleaner will only make the chipping worse. I know, unfortunately, from experience.

Kyle - what cleaner do you recommend for the exterior of a kettle with some paint chips, etc? I recently switched from a strong oven/grill cleaner to Simple Green and like it so far.

Kyle - what cleaner do you recommend for the exterior of a kettle with some paint chips, etc? I recently switched from a strong oven/grill cleaner to Simple Green and like it so far.
I use Dawn dish soap,after cleaning it I heat it up to dry it and then put some cooking oil (lightly) on the bare metal.

Back