Weber Genesis

Danny-MI

Hi all,
New tvwbb user here. I'm picking up a used Genesis S-335 Natural Gas which I plan to convert to LP and have a few questions.

A.) Am I missing anything from this shopping list?

1.) Burner Tubes
2.) Tank Scale
3.) LP orifices
4.) Tank connector kit

B.) Why does Weber charge less for the 4 burner tube set than the 3 tube set? The pictures look identical!
3-tube set:
4-tube set:

Any help/advice greatly appreciated!
- Danny

Don't bother buying burners. Really no difference. Do buy an entire manifold NOT simply orifices. Weber makes internal differences in the valves NOT just the orifices. So buy an entire manifold and hose setup. Yeah more expensive but the ONLY truly safe conversion. Bottom line you cannot simply swap orifices. The people touting this are shysters.
Also you may just simply find it easier and cheaper to find one in the fuel type you want from the get go. They're pretty much easy to find. At least around here.
Anyway to do proper safe conversion. Buy LP manifold for the model you want, buy good quality (recommend OEM) regulator and hose for the model. EZPZ done
Tank hardware and such you may find optional. The grill will operate safely without it but not without a proper manifold

Thanks for the advice LMichaels, I am indeed interested in doing this right.

I found some threads here about how weber doesn't sell manifolds to discourage conversion. Web searches for part# 67459 - all return "out of stock" except for Ali Express (here) and Ebay (probably coming from Alibaba too).

Can anyone here tell from the picture on Ali Express if thiers is a legitimate part? I figure it could be the same supplier, but could also be a bad (and dangerous) knockoff.

Also - full disclosure, I also have a plumber coming out tomorrow to quote running NG to my patio. If I can have that run for under $500 - I'll just make the switch.

P.S. I found this beauty on FB Marketplace for $500. My original Weber served me well for about 25 years!
20230526_145020.jpg

Don't bother buying burners. Really no difference. Do buy an entire manifold NOT simply orifices. Weber makes internal differences in the valves NOT just the orifices. So buy an entire manifold and hose setup. Yeah more expensive but the ONLY truly safe conversion. Bottom line you cannot simply swap orifices.
This ^^^^

Definitely replace the manifold. You'll need an orifice for the side burner. I've not seen replacement valves for these.

Yep, either manifold swap or run a NG line. The manifold you found looks legit enough. The Weber ones come out of China now too.

Yeah, sadly many plumber charge out the wazoo for this. And it's really pretty easy to do. (unless you have to cut and thread black pipe). But with modern CSST and it's matching fittings the hardest thing will be getting a hole in that brick work of yours. IIRC many here also have had good luck finding manifolds for them on GrillParts.com (may have the URL wrong). But it's something akin to that

Thanks for all the help guys.

I may get one more quote to run the NG before buying parts. Will let you know what I hear.

Price a tank refill or exchange. $20? three to five tanks a year, vs NG at 1/4 the cost.

Work out ROI, and then factor in resale value down the road.

Bonus is not having to schlep tanks around.

I got a few quotes to run a gas line to my backyard years ago and it was $2,000. I never got it done. I would have taken advantage of it if it was already there though.

It’s not as big a price deal as it used to be but, what is?
I expect you’re keeping the Genesis! A restoration can be done on those will take some time and effort but, you can get many more years out of it!

From what I understand, NG is not so much of a savings any more....Yes/No?
When you consider it's still cheaper per therm, no need to waste wear and tear on your car dragging those tanks back and forth, no worry about your grill stopping in the middle of a long cook with no warning. NG is the way to go. Just sad that plumbers feel the need to rip people off for what is truly a quite simple job

Yeah, I do like the thought of not having to schlep tanks back and forth. If I can get a plumber quote for something more reasonable, I'll do it. Right now, I think I'd pay up to about $1000 to have that done. That would make it easy to justify as it would put me right in the total price range of the S-335 new. (I found this gently used 2020 used for $500!). So at a total outlay of $1500, I'd get a "new" grill and NG hookup to boot. :)

Tim - As much as I feel like I owe it to the old girl, I don't think I'll be keeping the old Genesis. If there's anyone close enough to me in the S.E. Michigan area who wants it for restoration or parts, I'll happily give it away before scrapping it. Over the years, I've always bragged about that grill. Most other brand grills (even the expensive looking stainless ones) last only a few years before the igniter quits and it starts to rust. Meanwhile, my 25yr old Weber Genesis works like day 1 - even the igniter. I honestly don't know how they did that. The only parts that failed are the cooking grates, flavor bars, and wood slats.

When you consider it's still cheaper per therm, no need to waste wear and tear on your car dragging those tanks back and forth, no worry about your grill stopping in the middle of a long cook with no warning. NG is the way to go. Just sad that plumbers feel the need to rip people off for what is truly a quite simple job
I can't remember the particular project it was for but I recall buying CSST and the fittings for it on eBay and running NG...I think to a stove in one of our former houses. It was not that difficult and definitely not as scary as doing a 220 line connection at the main breaker panel that I did once.

Yeah, I do like the thought of not having to schlep tanks back and forth. If I can get a plumber quote for something more reasonable, I'll do it. Right now, I think I'd pay up to about $1000 to have that done. That would make it easy to justify as it would put me right in the total price range of the S-335 new. (I found this gently used 2020 used for $500!). So at a total outlay of $1500, I'd get a "new" grill and NG hookup to boot. :)

Tim - As much as I feel like I owe it to the old girl, I don't think I'll be keeping the old Genesis. If there's anyone close enough to me in the S.E. Michigan area who wants it for restoration or parts, I'll happily give it away before scrapping it. Over the years, I've always bragged about that grill. Most other brand grills (even the expensive looking stainless ones) last only a few years before the igniter quits and it starts to rust. Meanwhile, my 25yr old Weber Genesis works like day 1 - even the igniter. I honestly don't know how they did that. The only parts that failed are the cooking grates, flavor bars, and wood slats.
Fully appreciate it! Offers it up on Craigslist for $100 and take fifty, put the sale price towards the gasline plumbing.

Got to agree with what's being said about NG vs. LP. We have a 2009 E/W E320 NG and it's wonderful not dealing with propane tanks.
The only propane I have now is for our 25 year old genesis 2000 which very seldom get used anymore and the 20# bottle which is going on 5 years on the performer.
All my four other tanks are full and used only for our backup generator when needed.

Back