Weber genesis

DLeopoldi

Got this grill from my father in law about 6 years ago when I moved into my townhouse.

Grill is always covered by the wood bars have become rotted.

Is it as easy as jut buy cedar planks from Home Depot cut to size and replace?

Do I need to stain the cedar?

I can buy 2x1x8 from lowes…..

Attachments

• B34A5A39-E30C-4F0E-8B3D-0840F2F45455.jpeg
    B34A5A39-E30C-4F0E-8B3D-0840F2F45455.jpeg
    193.1 KB · Views: 32
Here is what I found at Home Depot.....

Do I need to stain the slats I cut and is this the right stuff?

Attachments

• Weber Grill.jpg
    Weber Grill.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 18
Cedar or Redwood would be good choices. And I would stain and seal. Let me look for details from others.

I bought 1 x 2 x 8' in cedar from Lowe's, had to carefully sort them for knots and defects.
You will need two of them.
I put danish oil on them and plan to keep them covered.

I think Hank is right on track, the sorting through the bunks of cedar might take a little while but, the cedar durability is better than the “white wood” which is usually pretty cheap material. Likely to “corkscrew” when you start mounting it. Not fun. No, don’t ask.🤪

Welcome to the forum D! You can use anything you want to replace the wood on that grill. I replaced mine with mahogany for example, but it did require cutting the boards to width as well as length. Staining and sealing it are important for looks and longevity obviously. I also have to ask out of curiosity, your propane grill appears to be hooked up to a natural gas line. Am I seeing that correctly?

Untreated Cedar is very weather resistant, but will turn a silver grey with time. Cedar can also be kept bright for many years by coating it. Clear cedar (no knots) is a bit pricey and might be better purchased through a lumberyard that sells it. If cost is an issue, you may be able to negotiate for off-cuts from somebody else's project. I ordered clear cedar once to trim out my shed and knotty cedar for the doors. The lumberyard took my plans, worked out how to best do it and cut all the pieces for me. I needed different widths where the corners butted together. I came home with a few scraps that I made into extension cord holders and door braces and such.

At our Menards, they sell assorted "cutoffs" of various woods. I have done well buying those odds and ends

The HD near me has one of those big lumber carts usually loaded with assorted lumber and trim...they spray a squirt of purple paint and they call it the cull cart. It's about 70% off regular price. I haven't seen much oak or poplar in there but I have scored some pieces that were for certain projects.

This stuff worked well for me! I used it on the handle in this picture.
1666993585433-jpeg.61747
1666993399743-jpeg.61746

That looks great! This is a project I’ll be needing to tackle. The ol’ girl needs a little freshening up as they all seem to.

Yeah I think an oil type stain is likely the best thing for that wood rather than a varnish. Varnish looks nice and is nice for wood trim on a boat but IDK about the need for a hard coat on grill wood. Though I did do a paint finish on my old Genesis, I think something like 15 or 20 years ago. Son in law has it and really the only "indignity" it has suffered is having been crushed by roofing contractors. But the wood was still intact and my enamel finish in matching red to the top was still intact and shining well. FWIW the paint I used was International/Case Red Implement enamel mixed according to directions on the can with just a touch of hardener added (instructions indicated it was optional) and that finish was wearing like iron. As of now though the original grill has a different VERY early frame (thanks to G Schaeffer) who was kind enough to give me a frame 3 years ago to save the old grill. So it's back on it's feet but with different wood as the old series Genesis had the long larger slats. Maybe at some point I will paint those for the SIL.

Back