Weber genesis platinum 1200 restoration

John S

Hi, Guys I have been creeping in the shadows since yesterday reading about your adventures with these sexy BBQs. so I would like to post a few pictures of my project that I started today and hopefully, I can get some help if I get stuck.weber 1.jpg

inside condition
At this point, I plan on keeping the original color sandblasting the inside including the grill, or I might replace it but I'm not looking to buy new parts because everything looks to be in good shape so far.
The wood needs to be replaced but I haven't decide what type of wood to use or what type of finish and I'm open to suggestions

weber 4.jpegweber 2.jpegweber 3.jpeg

Last edited:
That's a nice grill for rehabbing. I think the wood is still good, just need to clean it up as it is durawood unless you want real wood on there. The flavo bars still look good. At some point, I'd replace the channel grates with a good set of SS rod grates.

Last edited:
That's a nice grill for rehabbing. I think the wood is still good, just need to clean it up as it is durawood unless you want real wood on there. The flavo bars still look good. At some point, I'd replace the channel grates with a good set of SS rod grates.
Yep what he said

That looks like a completely serviceable grill right now. You could cook a brisket on that thing this afternoon.

I agree with everyone above, but I really don't think you need to blast the inside of the cook box. Just scrape it out good and then maybe a little scrubbing. After half a dozen cooks, it is going to be gunked up anyway. Save the blasting cost and buy some better grates for it.

just pressure wash off the durawood. Only damage that I came across with them were fading or warping due to long term sun exposure. I like them because they are low maintenance. The platinum series came with Ss flavor bars. They look to me in good condition. I would suggest rotating them to extend the life.

That wood can be repainted as well. I did one came out great.

Attachments

• 9C375AD0-00C1-4EBC-8A8E-2A5FE0F67712.jpeg
    9C375AD0-00C1-4EBC-8A8E-2A5FE0F67712.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 48
  • DB80CADF-17E8-4B3D-BF40-6F8D2B6807A7.jpeg
    DB80CADF-17E8-4B3D-BF40-6F8D2B6807A7.jpeg
    213.6 KB · Views: 46
The wood isn't in good shape but everything else is

Few more pictures of today's progress.
all the internals are in great shape and the lid cleaned up really well.
I decided to go with cedar for the table and bottom area but instead of cutting the wood before I sand and finish. I kept them a bit longer 6 pcs per then sand and finish with tung and orange oil after its cured 1 week then I will cut to size

weber 5 .jpgweber 7 .jpgweber 8 .jpgweber 9 .jpgweber 10 .jpeg

Attachments

• weber 6 .jpg
    weber 6 .jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 15
The person that I got this bbq from had it hook up to natural gas but when I ran the serial number I can up as an LP.
As for as, I know it wasn't converted, maybe the manifold was switched out. I have an outside gas line but wouldn't mind if it was propane. Either or I will be happy but to be to me this looks like a Propane orifice. Thought? and how was he using it on gas? Thanks in advance .

.Manifold .jpg

I'll let others chime in. But if you can look at the sides of orifice. Is it black or brass? Brass might indicate LP. That seems to be the consistency with my LP and NG manifolds.

I'll let others chime in. But if you can look at the sides of orifice. Is it black or brass? Brass might indicate LP. That seems to be the consistency with my LP and NG manifolds

Think you are right john, I looked up several ns orifices and they are a lot bigger than the one I have but how would it run on ns with lp orifices.

Last edited:
For that grill and it's BTU rating that orifice looks sized for NG to my eyes. If you have a set of number drills you can perhaps gauge it. But who knows if the original owner did a hatchet job or not. It could also be the original dealer may have done it. Back when I got my Summit the dealer then (Bob's Ace Hardware) would regularly "convert" a grill for a customer by swapping out parts from floor models, which of course would throw off the S/N ID

For that grill and it's BTU rating that orifice looks sized for NG to my eyes. If you have a set of number drills you can perhaps gauge it. But who knows if the original owner did a hatchet job or not. It could also be the original dealer may have done it. Back when I got my Summit the dealer then (Bob's Ace Hardware) would regularly "convert" a grill for a customer by swapping out parts from floor models, which of course would throw off the S/N ID
[/QUO

The owner said that it was switched out which works for me but I found LP for a great price so I will buy it for parts because I'm renting my current spot and would like to use this weber for many years the come. Thanks for the help

or 2.jpg

Last edited:

Back