WEBER GENESIS LID NUTS

Mark AU

TVWBB Fan
Hey Guys, I'm currently doing a restoration on an older Genesis, does any one know the name of part number of the hex nuts that go on the inside of the lid that holds the screws to the end cap.

Cheers, Mark

Hi Mark

About half way down this page you should find cutting nuts.

Hi Mark, to the best of my knowledge those nuts were not available separately. You could get them as part of set that included everything for a Genesis 1 -5000 lid, since discontinued. You may still be able to source them by calling Weber or looking on the internet. Good luck!Screenshot_20230223-222744.png

Mark, one other thing. I have taken a few Genesis 1000 lids apart and have been able to reuse all of the nuts and bolts that hold the lid together. The nuts clean up easily and the bolts are also easily repainted with rustoleum hi heat paint.

Better off replacing everything with stainless fasteners. Unless yours is one with the "screw" portion as part of the end caps

Hi Mark

About half way down this page you should find cutting nuts.

Hey Mate, thanks heaps for this, some great info. I did a search on the page but it must be very specific word searches because I couldn't find too much info

Cheers for the info Guys, I have found them in the States but I'll try to find locally first as shipping costs is a killer at the moment

Hi Mark, to the best of my knowledge those nuts were not available separately. You could get them as part of set that included everything for a Genesis 1 -5000 lid, since discontinued. You may still be able to source them by calling Weber or looking on the internet. Good luck!View attachment 66698
Thanks mate, I've found that set online and still available but shipping prices are ridiculous at the moment unfortunately

Mark,
I know this is a US Amazon listing, but just to show you:

I couldn't tell if you were looking at BOTH these "thread cutting nuts" AND the flat top bolts as originally used or just need these nuts. I agree with re-using the original bolts by cleaning them up and then repainting.

Hood Bolts after cleaning.jpegHood Bolts before paint.jpeg
Repainting hood bolts.jpeg

The thread cutting or "speed" nuts, on the other hand, deteriorate and may not be re-useable.

The real old Genesis grills used a 1/4-20 nut with I believe a toothed washer attached. I would just use 1/4-20 nuts. Stainless if you want, but no real need for that since the bolt isn't stainless.

Gerry

Mark,
I know this is a US Amazon listing, but just to show you:

I couldn't tell if you were looking at BOTH these "thread cutting nuts" AND the flat top bolts as originally used or just need these nuts. I agree with re-using the original bolts by cleaning them up and then repainting.

View attachment 66706View attachment 66707
View attachment 66708

The thread cutting or "speed" nuts, on the other hand, deteriorate and may not be re-useable.
Thanks John, yep I always re-use the bolts. I usually soak them in a 50/50 mixture of white vinegar and water for a couple of days, I'll then clean and spray WD-40 on then to prevent rust and then paint the tops.

Thanks for the info on the 'speed nuts' I'll have a look locally for them

The real old Genesis grills used a 1/4-20 nut with I believe a toothed washer attached. I would just use 1/4-20 nuts. Stainless if you want, but no real need for that since the bolt isn't stainless.

Gerry
Gerry,
I didn't realize that. Certainly a viable solution. I think the "speed" or thread cutting nuts were cheaper and easier. They also seem to lack a propensity to come loose which is a good thing in the hood application. I liked how Weber went to using these on the later Silver/Gold/Platinum badges as well. They are a lot easier to deal with than those awful clips they orginally used on badges.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys, I found these locally on our eBay, it was the name of the nuts that I was struggling with ha ha
Glad you could find a decent deal. Best wishes on your restoration. I hope you will share some pictures.

For members here in the States, it is often amazing to find such serious Weber fans around the world with possibly the most serious being in Australia🦘!

Glad you could find a decent deal. Best wishes on your restoration. I hope you will share some pictures.

For members here in the States, it is often amazing to find such serious Weber fans around the world with possibly the most serious being in Australia🦘!
Thanks Jon, yeah I've been collecting for about 8 years now and restoring for probably 6 years. Great hobby, the cooking got me into the collecting.

Visited family in Texas years ago and got instantly hooked on Texas BBQ brisket. From there learnt to do my own and just snowballed ha ha

Back