Weber Genesis II E-335 Conversion from LP to NG

Joe Fatla

I purchased a Weber Genesis II LP grill and want to convert it to NG. I swapped out the burner manifold with a OEM Weber NG. The grill seems to be running hot. With all three burners on high it hits 675 degrees after 30 minutes. Weber does not shows a regulator on this model but lists a different model number for the LP and NG burners. Has anyone had this issue or swapped out the burners? I am considering calling the gas company out to check the WC pressure. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!
Joe

I would start with the gas pressure.

However, 675 after 30 mins seems about right.

IIRC, the 4 burner front control Genesis II has a regulator but the 3 burner does not.

Can you post pics of the burners lit on high and on low? Remove the grates and Flav bars for the Pic.

Last edited:
Hi Dan,

Thanks for your response, I will send some pics when I get my deck back together (stain it). I did notice that weber lists different burner tubes depending on what type of gas. I still have the LP tubes and I'm wondering if it's worth changing them out?

I purchased a Weber Genesis II LP grill and want to convert it to NG. I swapped out the burner manifold with a OEM Weber NG. The grill seems to be running hot. With all three burners on high it hits 675 degrees after 30 minutes. Weber does not shows a regulator on this model but lists a different model number for the LP and NG burners. Has anyone had this issue or swapped out the burners? I am considering calling the gas company out to check the WC pressure. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!
Joe
Your grill is normal and don't worry about the tubes. It's just a marketing trick by Weber. Once gas leaves the metering orifice the tubes don't matter. as gas is gas at that point

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your response, I will send some pics when I get my deck back together (stain it). I did notice that weber lists different burner tubes depending on what type of gas. I still have the LP tubes and I'm wondering if it's worth changing them out?
If it were mine, I'd just cook on it.

Your grill is normal and don't worry about the tubes. It's just a marketing trick by Weber. Once gas leaves the metering orifice the tubes don't matter. as gas is gas at that point
You're right that the burners are pretty much the same. The only difference I could find was the color of the screws, which shouldn't have any impact on their function. As far as it being a marketing trick, you're giving us way too much credit. My theory on the two part numbers was that is was likely related to a sourcing issue. We wouldn't deliberately create two separate part numbers just to try and trick people. Doing so would create two parallel work streams requiring separate purchase orders, storage locations, part setup in numerous systems, and bevy of other tasks that no one here would sign up for simply to trick people.

I have a factory E320 NG and it hits about 625-630 at wide open in about 30 minuets, so I would say yours is running okay.

We wouldn't deliberately create two separate part numbers just to try and trick people. Doing so would create two parallel work streams requiring separate purchase orders, storage locations, part setup in numerous systems, and bevy of other tasks that no one here would sign up for simply to trick people.
Not trying to kick the shovel out of your hands, but honestly given Weber's track record of doing everything they can to prevent people (or discourage them) from doing what SHOULD be a very simple, safe and straightforward change it would not surprise me in the least. No offense meant to you personally. Many other companies make it so simple (even including the necessary part(s). By doing it with a system of one simple main metering orifice. Case in point. If you go out and buy a new gas kitchen range they all come with everything needed to swap it over to LP (since many homes in the boonies are LP) including precise instructions.

Not trying to kick the shovel out of your hands, but honestly given Weber's track record of doing everything they can to prevent people (or discourage them) from doing what SHOULD be a very simple, safe and straightforward change it would not surprise me in the least. No offense meant to you personally. Many other companies make it so simple (even including the necessary part(s). By doing it with a system of one simple main metering orifice. Case in point. If you go out and buy a new gas kitchen range they all come with everything needed to swap it over to LP (since many homes in the boonies are LP) including precise instructions.
I certainly can't blame you for thinking that. Up until around 2007 we did sell conversion kits, and made a pretty penny doing so. Then our policy abruptly changed and conversions became a 4 letter word around here. I can only speculate that something significant happened. Let me say again, I'm only speculating, but my theory is that a consumer had a safety related event that resulted in legal action, because our mantra became that conversions were a safety and liability issue and we would not support them. Many people think that we forbade them to sell more grills, but that was not the motivation. We've probably put off way more consumers buy not supporting conversions than we would have if had kept on selling kits, which as mentioned we made a handsome profit on. I'd rather sell a $200 kit with a nice margin than try talk an angry consumer into paying hundreds more on a brand new grill. However, in the wrong (unknowledgeable) hands, a conversion kit could, and probably did, result in a major safety issue.

Last edited:
I certainly can't blame you for thinking that. Up until around 2007 we did sell conversion kits, and made a pretty penny doing so. Then our policy abruptly changed and conversions became a 4 letter word around here.

In 2007, when the Genesis went to a closed cabinet with the LPG tank inside the cabinet there are multiple things different between the NG version and the LP version.

Valves are different so a replacement manifold is the most effective way to sort this.
Slide-out drip pans are different with a stainless steel heat shield attached to the bottom of the enamel coated steel drip pan for LPG models.
The floor of the cabinets are different. LP models have a hole cut for the tank so it can sit lower in the cabinet.
The back of the cabinets are different with a large hole cut for the NG supply hose to enter. This has smooth edges so the hose won't get cut sliding in and out.
Gas supply hose / regulator / tank hanger assembly is different.

If one converted from NG to LPG and bought all of these parts, it would likely be over $400 USD or so.

If one converted from LPG to NG the heat shield is un-necessary but not harmful and the hole in the floor is just a hole so then the manifold and the hose assembly would be needed so under $200

I can see the liability side of this, though IMO, individuals should be accountable for their own actions, I'm sure a lawyer would try to find a way to fault a company with deep pockets should an injury occur that might or might not be tied to the conversion.

Last edited:
If a customer is smart enough to figure out what parts they need, then they are probably smart enough to make a safe conversion. I can definitely understand Weber not offering "conversion" kits due to liability. They only need to sell replacement parts, what the customer does with those parts is on them I would think.

If a customer is smart enough to figure out what parts they need, then they are probably smart enough to make a safe conversion. I can definitely understand Weber not offering "conversion" kits due to liability. They only need to sell replacement parts, what the customer does with those parts is on them I would think.
As someone who spent 10 years helping consumers across both North and South America, it pains me to say that it's impossible to presume the ability level of a person on the other end. When it was my duty to provide that support I tried to make safety of the grill owner my priority. Not only for liability to Weber or potentially to my own job, but I was just never comfortable knowing that my decisions could mean that someone on the other end could get hurt or worse. We do sell replacement parts, but the intention is generally to repair a problem with an existing grill owned by someone in the same configuration that it left our factory.
I fully respect that a lot of us feel confident about making the conversion without worry. I know all the parts to pretty much every Weber gas grill made back to 1985, but that's me. I personally feel that a certified technician should be making that sort of gas train conversion in most cases. It's the only way I feel fully confident about promoting the parts being properly replaced on our now thousands of various gas grill models going back now nearly 40 years. #IworkforWeber

Last edited:
John, I don't disagree with you. I'm not talking about rolling the dice on aftermarket orifices and hoping for the best, I wouldn't risk that. What I'm saying is buying all the necessary parts from Weber to change a grill over to gas or propane. The manifold, the different hose, and any other body panels or tank scale you may need to do it right. I 100% understand Weber not wanting to take part in any such conversion, but probably no more dangerous than the average guy replacing anything on their own grill.

Steve, I think you would almost have to dupe Weber into sending you a new manifold. The require you to have the grill registered on their site or at least provide the Serial number when ordering parts. I guess one way to do it is to find same model grill that was sold as a NG and use that serial number to order a replacement manifold for the LP grill or vice versa.

Steve, I think you would almost have to dupe Weber into sending you a new manifold. The require you to have the grill registered on their site or at least provide the Serial number when ordering parts. I guess one way to do it is to find same model grill that was sold as a NG and use that serial number to order a replacement manifold for the LP grill or vice versa.
Oh yeah, I agree that's probably the case. It's not something I would personally ever bother with. I was just trying to make a point that it can be done safely as long as you have the right parts. I could convert any of my Genesis 1000 grills to natural gas easily because I have a manifold for it from a parts grill that I have. Switch manifolds, remove tank panel and scale and you're done.

Weber COULD make it easy as other companies and appliances do. They choose not to. It would be absolutely nothing to have it set up to do a single simple orifice and hose swap and be done with it. I don't think Weber EVER sold a "conversion kit". You could however (at least back in the day at the dealers I recall) simply buy a manifold off the rack for your grill and the associated parts. Or in the case of Bob's Ace they would do it for you at time of purchase. There is no real reason to make it that hard or that expensive. They simply choose to do so. IDK why. Profit margins? Don't know.

I am sure it is a legal (law suit) issue. And it is not always up to the business. It is what their insurance company decides they will cover and what they won't.

I am sure it is a legal (law suit) issue. And it is not always up to the business. It is what their insurance company decides they will cover and what they won't.
Then why isn't a legal law suit issue for other companies?

Back