Weber genesis 4000 or 5000 ?

JessyStLouis

I've recently acquired this rare pearl! I've been collecting them for about 1 year. I'd like to learn more about this model - 4000 or 5000? Is there a missing glass door? Got the flame check but the button is missing 3505764F-759C-4DAA-B11B-9D9C1F908218.jpeg9E7DE90F-7963-4B34-B2E7-53A3D37AEE46.jpeg

Last edited:
That is a 4000. The 5000's had the glass doors. I don't have the Flame Check, but mine pretty much looks identical. Years ago, I swapped out the wood for the simulated plastic planks and handles. Getting ready to do a restore on mine. Nice find. Please keep this thread going with your progress.

That's a really cool old Weber. I am with Jeff that it deserves a proper restoration. I, too, noticed that it still has the matching trays! Wow, those are usually long gone. Keep us posted on what you do with it!

I think that at the time most people probably saw the 3000, with its side burner, as being a better deal, even though the 4000 has the double swing tables.

oh wow ! Tanks for that . when you say earlier , do you have any idea of the years ?
The Genesis 1-5 grills were made from 1985 to 1992, I believe.

B27B198F-74B3-418A-9261-E263991E0410.jpeg
If somebody have any suggestion how to restore the lid .. look like the sun ravage the colors . I hear a 0000 sandblasted paper can do the job ? I realy want to restore completely this beauty

Wow that is horrible fade for a colored lid. Usually black lids get hit the worst. But, maybe it is not the Weber fade after all. Get a good cleaner (I like Simple Green) and some #0000 steel wool and give it a good scrubbing. If that doesn't do the trick, then it is unlikely that lid can be revived. It looks like a Red lid and they are fairly common. Just find a donor grill to steal one from.....Not really steal but a parts grill to get one off of.

Wow that is horrible fade for a colored lid. Usually black lids get hit the worst. But, maybe it is not the Weber fade after all. Get a good cleaner (I like Simple Green) and some #0000 steel wool and give it a good scrubbing. If that doesn't do the trick, then it is unlikely that lid can be revived. It looks like a Red lid and they are fairly common. Just find a donor grill to steal one from.....Not really steal but a parts grill to get one off of.
I have a 1100 redhead lid but , if i can keep this one more original as possible .. i will try your method !

I have a 1100 redhead lid but , if i can keep this one more original as possible .. i will try your method !
The lids are identical really, but I understand keeping the original parts intact thing.
Do these lids respond to the same treatment you see for a car. Cutting and polishing compound?
You might be able to get the fade out partially, but it will come back after a good heat up. It is ceramic, not paint.

Because the lid is porcelain cutting/polishing is a waste of time and effort. The issue is the fade is in the pigments buried UNDER the glass. So imagine placing a painted but faded piece of metal under a sheet of glass. You can polish all you want and wax all you want but you're not touching the problem. It may "mask" the problem. IOW if it's wet/wet looking it may "look" shiny but once dry the shine is gone.
So no polishing will help. Only thing is you need to find another lid without the fade. Given the propensity of these grills it should not be terribly hard to find a donor lid. Especially in "colors" since the ones not black were not as prone to fade

Do these lids respond to the same treatment you see for a car. Cutting and polishing compound?
No, the lids are enameled so it’s NOT paint, technically enamel (like this), is glass. Car finishes are paint you can use polishing compounds the remove surface issues but, porcelain type enamel degradation is very different. If there is something ON the surface 0000 steel wool and a degreaser like simple green or dish washing detergent works very well.
This like like “fade” and that is a finish failure that is not generally restorable.

Back