Weber Genesis 310 (2008) - Manifold Rusted. Options?

DJTansey

Got a free Weber Genesis 310 from 2008 recently. Bought new burners because the old ones were collapsing a bit (especially the crossover tube). When I went to remove the manifold I saw that the corner of the assembly by the firebox was rusted through on one of them. I didn't take a picture. But I found a similar problem online and posted that.

I'm worried that the valves won't hold firmly against the new burners if this area is damaged. I'd rather not replace the whole manifold assembly. It's $100+ and the valves worked as of a month ago (according to the guy who gave this to me).

Any ideas? Thanks!

1619308716306.png

So the two angled parts holding the manifold to fire box is rusted out? Cut that section off and replace it with a new angled piece of steel. If you can't weld, bolting the piece together will be fine.

I have reinforced two grill manifolds by welding a new piece in at the place the meet the cook box. But, to me, it looks like someone has already done some welding on that manifold.

Otherwise, maybe someone here has a spare manifold they would sell you.

Thanks. That's what I assumed my two options would be. Can't weld. But I can probably bolt a piece together. Any sense of how precise the match has to be? Worried that getting it off slightly will risk a propane leak.

I have reinforced two grill manifolds by welding a new piece in at the place the meet the cook box. But, to me, it looks like someone has already done some welding on that manifold.

Otherwise, maybe someone here has a spare manifold they would sell you.
That's not my setup. That's just a similar photo I found. I don't think mine have been reinforced before.

How can I check if anyone is trying to sell a piece? First day on his forum. Thanks.

DJ: Just start a new thread asking in this forum and probably try another thread in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum as well. There are several on this forum that rehab grills and have spare parts. Sometimes people switch from LP to NG and change out the forum and have no use for their old one.

Or, you could send it to me and I could weld in some support. But round trip shipping would probably make it not worth while.

Yah, I would prefer you find a less expensive solution. You could try a local welding shop. Probably get it done for $10. All you need is for them to do is weld a small piece in front of the bracket mount....the yellow piece in the photo below. THen have them drill through the existing hole in the bracket and through the new metal (blue). Like I said, I have done that with two, maybe three manifolds so far. Doing it this way ensures all the angles and lengths don't change so you don't have to worry about fitment afterwards.

Manifold Bracket.jpg

I noticed something similar on mine and just took it off and hit it with a flap disc on the grinder to see how bad it actually was. I still had enough meat on it to use it. Cleaned it up and painted. Rust made it look worse than it was. I think a beefy L-bracket is a good idea and really shouldn't be to hard to drill holes in the right locations.

As you guys can see the rust us only on these two points of contact, that is these to different metals can cause the corrosion. I would clean as others have said to see how bad it is, if bad repair by the cutting and welding in a new peice, or if just surface rust clean and repaint.
But I would paint using a rust incapsulator coating (POR 15) or Eastwood. Then when installing to prevent the same problem happiness again I would add Bruce's Red RTV to the angle mating surface let it firm up a bit before you install to give it a cushion and allow it to fill any voids, this will keep out the moisture, and stop the transfer of corrosion due to dissimilar metals.
I have to say you have a great find ,and these folks can guide you to make it a family freind.

Back