Weber Genesis 2000 NG restore candidate?

Tork T

TVWBB Member
Live and learn. About five years ago I bought a new Genesis three burner and quickly sold my Genesis Platinum 2 thinking my new Weber would perform well. Dang it, the new Weber struggles to regain temp (after opening lid) and will never ever get above 525 degrees....and during the winter here in Alaska it's worse. I decided to find a classic Weber.

Anyway, I just found a Weber Genesis 2000 for free and from my research here it looks like it might be a decent candidate to restore. It's a natural gas model and all the parts are there. There's some rust on the front "facia" as you'll see in the pics.

Can you give me your opinion whether this is a decent one to restore? Do you believe natural gas is a detriment? I have a donor Genesis 1000 that was backed into by a pickup truck (!), but has a decent fire box, and LP goodies along with wheels and casters.

Cheers!

Tork

Attachments

• IMG_8284.JPG
    IMG_8284.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_8286.JPG
    IMG_8286.JPG
    200.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_8282.JPG
    IMG_8282.JPG
    228.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_8278.JPG
    IMG_8278.JPG
    277.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_8285.JPG
    IMG_8285.JPG
    237.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_8280.JPG
    IMG_8280.JPG
    217.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_8297.JPG
    IMG_8297.JPG
    224 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_8298.JPG
    IMG_8298.JPG
    276 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_8291.JPG
    IMG_8291.JPG
    178.9 KB · Views: 55
Not sure what the corrosion/peeling paint on the bottom front is. Also it looks like that grill is really suffering from oxidation or whatever you want to call the corrosion of the aluminium. The photo of the top right of the cook box looks really bad. A good cleaning and scrubbing will go a long way to seeing just how bad it is. Either way, even if you have to find a new cook box, it looks like the rest is pretty good.
Check the cook box for holes, especially down where the flavorizer bars rest on the right and left sides.

echo everything Bruce said. Lots of elbow grease and it should be good for another 20 years. When you remove the cook box, be mindful of the left bar that it sits on. Looks to be a good amount of rust may be waiting to surprise you once you take it out. So be sure to not use a hammer or excessive force. You’ll likely damage the frame or even worst crack the cook box. Bruce has a video on how to change that out.
Another thing I noticed was your z bars that hold your wood slats. From the picture you posted, it would see that you should have a second swing table That is used as a side table? Might have been a replacement the previous owner used. You are also missing a z bar for the bottom slabs.

Check the burners where it meets the manifold. I can’t make it out but you might need the plastic spider guards.

Thanks for the input. The “grease catcher” may have never been cleaned-it was so caked in crud. My hope is a good cleaning will reveal a pleasant surprise.

I have 36 wood slats. I’m not sure the rig had two swing tables. Could it have had the one swing up table on the left and a fixed shelf to the right of the controls?

Number KL2 1765 is on a sticker just under the controls. Is that model and year?

Thanks

It is an early 1990's. My grill started with KL1 and it was a Genesis 1000. That is where the "1" comes in. Yours is KL2 so you have a Genesis 2000. I know mine was 1993 model and your's is as well. Mine looked just like yours except you have the extra right side table.

THe "L" stands for LP gas. If yours was Natural Gas, it would have an "N" as the second character.

Hello Tork T. Looks like you most everything you need providing the parts donor propane manifold fits and lines up with the nob holes. You need 2 Z bars and the two support rod bars for the swing table. It looks like you've got them. also restored the same rig from ng to propane. will post pic.
the bolts that hold the manifold to the tub can be a ***** if there the butter-fly kind. Some have a bolt and wink not, much better , even if it breaks. If it is the butterfly bold, good luck. Not the end of the world though. Just drill it out and go with the bolt and wing nut. P.S Make sure all the control valves work . Good luck. If you Need Z bars let me know, I had extras fabricated. as well as swing tray bars.

Attachments

• 20141028_172959.jpg
    20141028_172959.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 33
@JSoberg aka pepa

Are you saying you have swing bar assemblies for Genesis x000 series?
Are they the slide type (that don't have to move the rod to the front leg)?

I'd love to purchase this hardware for a Genesis 1000 with a swing table on the left.

Hey Bruce- thanks for deciphering the numbers... I guess the grill began as LP and was converted to NG model. There are no holes in the firebox where the flavorizer bars sit, and after an initial cleaning the firebox doesn't look too bad.

Hey pepa- thanks for the replies and sure enough... I have the wing nuts holding the manifold to the firebox. They are rusty wing nuts but I hope they break then back outta the holes and maybe save some threads. I'll be soaking them in penetrating oil.

I am attaching a picture with all the Z bars I have. Do I have all the parts I need? One Z bar is rusty, but it may still be ok after a little work.

Also, inside the firebox on the left side there are two bolts that hold the burners. I've attached a pic. Are these problematic to remove? They look rusty and troublesome.

IMG_8309.JPGIMG_8310.JPG

The journey begins...

They locate, but do not hold down the burner tubes. You do not need to loosen or remove them in order to remove the burner tubes, unless a previous owner did something stupid.

J Grotz- Ok, thanks for the quick response. One is loose and the other not so much... now that I know what's up I'll be careful.

JohnS- thanks for the heads up on "not using excessive force" on the firebox. Many years ago I dealt with a stuck toilet flange bolt. I decided heat would be my friend....shot the heat to the bolt and promptly cracked the porcelain of a beautiful vintage toilet. My wife still brings that up on occasion...what a knucklehead move that was.

I beleive you are missing one shelf bracket. You should have two of the kind on the very bottom of your photo. There are two of those and one Z bar on the swing table.

Wait, it was cut off the photo until I expanded it. It looks like you have all the shelf hardware.

You do need the swing table support rod though and there should be a plastic clip on it that fits on the slide bar along the left two legs of the grill.

The firebox still has some corrosion discoloration but the integrity of the box seems sound. Do you recommend having the firebox sandblasted or is there a better way to remove corrosion and re-paint?

My apologies. I just searched "sandblasting" and came upon a wealth of info and tmore info on all aspects of Weber refurb. thx

Is this the swing table support bar? Looks like a cotter key or something goes on the end though.View attachment 8022View attachment 8022
The support bar is the one in this picture next to the yellow line. The other one under the frame piece by the blue tape is the swing table pivot bar. Yes, the pivot bar has a hole in the end, but it doesn't take a cotter pin or anything. There is really no function for the hole in this use.

This is basically how the table is configured and installed. The yellow line traces the support bracket. The light blue line traces the pivot rod.

table.jpg

Well now you have to wonder who did the conversion and was it really converted correctly. Or did someone just throw a hose on and go "yup yup that was easy". My guess is the latter. So odds are it will never run correctly. It's obvious the grill started life as an LP because it has the hangar and scale. 999 out of 100 people have no clue that you cannot just switch hoses and "convert" something. So I will caution you to be VERY careful

Back