weber gas grills_Sales?

Brian Fokes

Does anyone know if or when weber gas grills typically go on sale? I have checked Lowes, Ace Hardware and Home Depot, but so far I haven't seen them on sale. Any information would be appreciated.

Try Craigslist and rehab an oldie that needs a new home. Saves money and gives you a good feeling. Just a thought. I am looking for one myself. SWMBO is even ok with that approach.

Their MAP pricing policy will not allow advertised "sales" of their products. The Minimum Advertised Price policy means that a Weber dealer can sell the products for whatever price they want, but cannot advertise a price lower than the MAP. Also, the markup on their products is not that great at the retail level so there is no incentive for anyone to discount them anyway.
The Weber grills are not the same as the cheaply made Chinese crap made to look good but not cook well and not last long while bringing nice margins for the retailers. While it's true that the Spirit line is made in China, all Weber grills are designed and built to perform and last a long time regardless of country of origin. The charcoal, Genesis and Summit lines are all made in the USA.

Their MAP pricing policy will not allow advertised "sales" of their products. The Minimum Advertised Price policy means that a Weber dealer can sell the products for whatever price they want, but cannot advertise a price lower than the MAP. Also, the markup on their products is not that great at the retail level so there is no incentive for anyone to discount them anyway.
The Weber grills are not the same as the cheaply made Chinese crap made to look good but not cook well and not last long while bringing nice margins for the retailers. While it's true that the Spirit line is made in China, all Weber grills are designed and built to perform and last a long time regardless of country of origin. The charcoal, Genesis and Summit lines are all made in the USA.

thanks Greg, good information!

This bites the big one. I posted earlier about getting a new E-310. The price seems to be hovering around $699. I can get 5% off with my Lowes card. I guess I won't see anything less than $664.

One way you can get cheaper Weber products is if the store clears them out to make room for newer products, but they cannot advertise it. Alternatively, there is always the damaged freight and big box returns that some places sell on Ebay.
The only other way I can think of is if your state has an annual no tax day, you could purchase on that day and save the tax.

Brian; it's pretty difficult to find discounted weber products. At the end of the season you can sometimes find good deals but it takes a LOT of work and luck. Basically constantly checking forums for closeout deals and hoping you're the first to get there. Personally I'm not sure it's worth the time, unless you have time to spare.

I wanted a gasser as a 3rd grill..... And wasn't willing to spend a bunch of money. Buying a used silver and refurbing it cost me about $150, maybe 6-8 hours of labor. Tooks a month or so of checking craigslist in the evenings. I had a ton of fun with it and it cooks just as good as a new weber.

Here's my thread about it:

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?573...000-3000-and-other-important-refurb-questions

I know this is an old thread, but I found this press release having to do with Weber and MAP pricing. It explains the rationale behind MAP pricing from Weber's standpoint...you be the judge.

--

February 28, 2012 08:03 AM Eastern Standard Time

CHICAGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Channel IQ, the leading provider of online pricing intelligence and channel management solutions, today announced that Weber-Stephen Products LLC, the leading manufacturer of barbecue grills; smokers; accessories; and other outdoor room products, has chosen the Channel IQ platform to manage its extensive minimum advertised price (MAP) policy across its online sales channels. Weber selected Channel IQ for its ability to automate the labor-intensive price monitoring and communication processes consistently, accurately and instantly with channel partners while saving the manufacturer critical time and resources.

In addition, Weber believes, and it has been consistently demonstrated, that the successful sale of Weber Products involves a deep understanding of the features and benefits of the various Weber Products and a commitment to enhancing the consumer’s outdoor cooking experience. Weber supports their retail partner’s efforts to do so with training programs, on-line support and other activities to create a staff knowledgeable in the Weber line. The Weber MAP Program is designed to protect the premium value of Weber Products and protect investments made by Weber and its retail partners.

In addition to this MAP Program, Weber will continue its cooperative advertising program, which provides qualified retailers with support for their efforts to advertise and promote the Weber brand and Weber Products, in compliance with the MAP Program guidelines and the terms and conditions of the cooperative advertising program.

“We spend significant time and resources to monitoring and trying to enforce our MAP policies, largely for the benefit of our retailers. We are as committed to their interests as we are to protecting our brand,” said Mike Kempster, Executive Vice President and CMO for Weber. “Channel IQ’s solutions are a perfect fit for our needs because they allow for us to easily monitor where our product is being sold and quickly address any deviations from the MAP Program.”

“With so many channels for consumers to be buying products online, it can be impossible for a company to keep track of them all, both to ensure proper brand representation as well as protect their authorized retailers,” said Wes Shepherd, founder and CEO at Channel IQ. “We are thrilled to support an industry leader like Weber by providing unprecedented visibility into pricing in order to spot non-compliant discounting in advertisements. This actionable intelligence helps Weber manage their channels for optimal outcomes and ensure all their channel partners reap the benefits that come with policy compliance.”

As others have noted, it is pretty difficult to find anything on sale. Big Box stores and Ace are currently running specials in my area though. You can get free delivery and set up of your new grill (over $400) and they will take away your old one. This probably doesn't do any good for anyone on this forum, but I just happily did this for my dads 60th birthday on Monday. Bought him a new Weber Spirit E310 and had them deliver/assemble during the day, so he came home to his new baby sitting on the deck. I also had them haul away his rusted out CharBroil. For me, I couldn't have been happier that they were running this "sale".

I think that we have to look at Weber's pricing policy from the standpoint of "what if they didn't do this, and priced their products just like everybody else".
In my opinion - what we would get is:

• They would eventually have to get rid of their World-Class customer support, in order to keep costs down
  • They would eventually have to reduce their extensive Warranty
  • They would have to cheapen-up their product like everybody else, and their stuff would not last like it does now
  • Because they are trying to compete with the "cheapo" brands, they end up going out of business

The somewhat higher prices that we pay for Weber products allows them (at least, partially) to continue to provide a high-quality product that lasts, along with excellent long-term customer support. [And no, I do not work for Weber... ;-P ]

Last edited:
Only time I've seen ones on sale is at small stores selling their display model or excess inventory

Only times you will really find "sales" is when certain stores are trying to clear inventory for whatever reason. Could be that they increase inventory and SKU's during the "grilling season" and want to get rid of excess at the end of the season (Target). Or they have last year's grill in inventory and there's some change in the new models coming out. Thing is, getting what you want at the discounted pricing is a crap shoot at best. Will your model be on clearance ? Will your local stores have what you are looking for ?

Back