Weber Build chapter 2 - new member looking for help.

MMaetzold

Through donations/collections, I have two Weber Grill1000/5000 series in my Garage at lake. My goal is to get one decent grill via parts. I'll post some pics, took them apart tonight. Last summer I rebuilt a 1000 into a nice unit which was gifted to a nephew. Bruce was a motivator with his videos and blog. I just registered onto this great site as I need to make something from the collection I now have.

My question - My Red Model 470000 has a great frame with extra burner, but the enamel has a rust spot in the front.......should I attempt to patch or move swap out with my green lid? I am reading that enamel is not easy to repair due to glass, etc.

Also - cleaning question. Last year I hand cleaned the inside using some oven cleaner, and my hands will likely never be the same.....can one sand blast it after initial cleaning? I have access to one. I realize the inside doesn't have to be perfect, it's going to get a coating quickly, etc. The enamel is not an issue, easily cleaned, and I think I just need to rough up the sides and paint the aluminum exterior. No Paint on the interior.

I will have more questions including valves, sourcing things. This site is great, looking forward to growing my skills.

I will try to post some pictures. Thank you.

Mark

Last edited:
Here's some pictures:
Is there a posting about how to paint the Weber Logo?
Frames are in good shape.
I have to review valve cleaning/adjustment, there seems to be something melted on the side burner internal components (ring?)
Wood has to be replaced, but Z channels appear to be there.
It will be a fun project.

Attachments

• IMG_7162.jpg
    IMG_7162.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7161.jpg
    IMG_7161.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7160.jpg
    IMG_7160.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7159.jpg
    IMG_7159.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7158.jpg
    IMG_7158.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7157.jpg
    IMG_7157.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7156.jpg
    IMG_7156.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 23
As far as the lid goes I'd just swap it out with another one that's in better condition...easy peasy. And yes, if you have access to a sandblaster then that would be the best and easiest route as far as cleaning the firebox. Just search "sandblasting" on the forum and you should find some threads on it like this one...

And yes, there is a thread on how to paint the Weber logo. Just search the forum and you should find it just like this one...

I would also go with the other lid. Sandblasting is definitely a good idea if you have access to one and don't have to pay an arm and a leg for it.
Sounds like you have a good idea how to proceed on this restore. GOod luck, like Chris says, check the "HOW TO's" and if you have any further questions, we are here to lend our valuable and always spot on 100% correct advice.
t0sG1c6.jpg

You will find a lid pretty soon, just watch for it. One will show up when you least expect it!
Looks like this project has had you up late by the time of you posting this thread.
Be safe

Sand blasting will give you a brand new grill that will be “seasoned” with your cooks. As opposed to someone else’s “gross gunk.”
2B3408B9-FDAA-4647-A61B-F2AEFEDE034B.jpeg

And a red kettle logo is a must.
8712A3B6-F2BE-4510-B4DE-1899E24552F3.jpeg

Sand blasting a box is nice. But personally, if I do another grill for personal use, I wouldn't pay to have it blasted. I would simply grab a 2" putty knife, give it about 20 minutes of my time and effort and fire it up with some Ribeyes (If I can find any around here). 10 cooks after blasting it and it will be "gunked" up again. If you are worried about it being someone else's gunk, just throw the burners on high and let it run for a half hour.
That's just my opinion though after hand cleaning them down to bare aluminum or blasting them for all my flip grills. Clearly, most people REALLY prefer the cleaned out, like new fire boxes.

I totally understand where Bruce is coming from. I know that doing what he says about scraping and burning off will yield a grill that harbors zero pathogens. But I'm really glad I had my firebox sandblasted. And 2 months after putting my 1000 into regular usage, it is already gunked up. But it's my gunk.🤢

Yah, I'd go the sandblasting route depending on the price or if I had access to one. I'm really liking the Member's Mark oven and grill cleaner and pressure washing combo...doesn't get as clean as sandblasting it but clean enough to look all shiny and new again which makes it more attractive when a potential buyer looks at it.

That stuff works really great. I have found, though, that long burnt on soot especially above the grate level can be beyond even its strong alkali chemistry. Sometimes only a grinder (or sand blaster if you are so blessed) will do the job.

I agree with Jon. I use the MM grill cleaner with a household SS pad. It gets of 85% of the gunk but there is always some above grate level that won't come off. I actually think a lot of that is just over spray of the powder coating from the outside. The angle grinder cleans it up nicely though.

Back