Weber 6282/6283 Grill Brush ~ Any feedback?

MichaelM

TVWBB Super Fan
Time to replace my grill grate brush. I bought a cheap wire bristle brush to use while figuring out my next move. Hate the idea of wire bristles. We know that story. Tried one of the spiral wound grate brushes but it was like cleaning the grates with a brick.. returned that the day after Christmas. For years I used a brush that relied on generic stainless woven scrub pads that were replaceable (and available at any grocery store) but that brush gave up last season after replacing the handle twice and truth told, it wasn't the best option. The pads would unravel easily and it needed to have two pads loaded into it at the same time to really be effective. Not crazy about pigeon holing myself into a proprietary scubber pad, but it looks like Weber might have a good item.

Any feedback on either?

Since 2017 I've been using the Char-Broil nylon brushes mentioned by @Samuel Sandoval. I started with wire brushes and had initial good luck with a Cave Tools lifetime guarantee brush but my second one shed like a cat out of the box. From that point I refuse to use a wire brush. Larry swears by his use of Libman grill brushes but USA made or not I refuse to take the risk.

The nylon brush requires a change-up in the routine but it works to my satisfaction and I don't watch people out of the corner of my eyes while they eat my food.

I got the Weber 6283 for Father’s Day. Seems okay but not sure you can use a generic braided scrubbie on it. Got the longer handle and it is sturdy. I use a homemade chargon first and just used it to clean up any leftover bits. I only use it on my SS grates and lately have been using the kettle or Q3200 so it has only seen one use. Will let you know as I use it more.

Yep.. I am done with the wire bristles. Can't deal with the horror stories.

Tried one of those pumice stones.. epic fail Lasted exactly two cleanings and now I would need to buy another insert.

I know the Weber 6282/3 don't use the generic pads and I am leery of committing to the Weber pads long term. I think that's a skip. Even though I like the idea of supporting Weber, I don't care for the brushes with replaceable heads.

Kind of like light bulbs.. supposed to last a gojillion years but never do. And when it's time to replace the one bulb that burns out early you find that planned obsolescence has rendered your original bulbs extinct, and even if you could find the same replacement bulb, you have to buy a five pack.. when I need only one, or six if I cave in and replace all of them. This is one of the few things in life that really irritates me.. maybe I am just getting old. [/rant]

The Grillbadger natural bristle brush.. that looked interesting until I dug deeper and found it sold out. Amazon has a few natural bristle options. Grillaholics brand has natural palmyra bristles as well as nylon...

Last edited:
I don't have the Weber brush, but I have a similar style made by SOS that uses the mesh scrubber heads, so just commenting on the style. Overall, it works pretty well, though it can snag on the edges of the grates, which will pull it apart pretty quick. They tend to get matted down with grease pretty quick too, but still do a great job at cleaning the grates, hot or cold.

Charlie

I don't have the Weber brush, but I have a similar style made by SOS that uses the mesh scrubber heads, so just commenting on the style. Overall, it works pretty well, though it can snag on the edges of the grates, which will pull it apart pretty quick. They tend to get matted down with grease pretty quick too, but still do a great job at cleaning the grates, hot or cold.

Charlie
My experience as well.

I am liking the natural bristle brushes, but I have been a hot-grate cleaner for ages and find that to be the best method regardless of the brush I choose. I would expect the natural (or nylon) bristles to succumb to high heat pretty quickly. Curious how they might do if the bristles are wet first.

I've pretty well given up on all brushes. I am a wadded up ball of of tinfoil guy now....put on the heat-proof BBQ glove, grab my tinfoil and a good scrub works well. The edges even get down between the grates pretty well.

I've pretty well given up on all brushes. I am a wadded up ball of of tinfoil guy now....put on the heat-proof BBQ glove, grab my tinfoil and a good scrub works well. The edges even get down between the grates pretty well.
I've heard about that method for years, but I always forget about it and grab the brush. I'm going to try to remember it next time and give it a go. Seems like it will work out great. Thanks for the info.

Charlie

Back