Water in the pan and spritzing

I spritz my ribs with the water pan, just for the bark. I don't like a lot of bark on ribs, but I try to get a little bit. I always use my water pan for everything. I like the temp control I get with it. I bought a pizza pan that fits into the water pan, drilled a bunch of holes, and cover it with foil when I smoke. It works really well, and is easy clean up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210611-162215_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210611-162215_Gallery.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 13
  • wsm water pan disc.jpg
    wsm water pan disc.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 13
A water pan and spritzing is necessary in a stick burner, because it has a lot of air flow, which will dry out the exterior of the meats. Spritzing is necessary to keep the edges of large meats from crusting.

A WSM does not have a lot of air flow. For me, whether to spritz just becomes a judgement call during the cook. If the meat is drying out, spritz.

But also, and especially on pork butt, spritzing during the stall will just extend the stall. It just increases the evaporative cooling that takes place during the stall.

I don’t think spritzing is needed regardless of water in the pan or not. But there are some that like to spritz and others who do not. Personally I like to keep that lid closed as much as possible. If I apply moisture it is usually a mop to impart flavor rather than a spritz.

But also, and especially on pork butt, spritzing during the stall will just extend the stall. It just increases the evaporative cooling that takes place during the stall.

In a well put nutshell, that is exactly why I stopped spritzing. It didn't seem to be adding anything but time.

I'd be afraid concentrate might burn given high sugar content. I have successfully used apple juice, apple juice + whiskey, water + apple cider vinegar (50/50), water + Worcestershire sauce (50/50), and just plain water.

Does anyone you apple juice concentrate?
I do, but like Chris pointed out it's concentrated so I use it for short smokes like chops, sausages, country style ribs, rib tips etc.
You spritz often enough that you add layers of flavor, for thin cuts.

Back