WAL-MART Beef....

G.A. Green

TVWBB Member
Sorry if this is repetitive - anyone else notice how much better the "new" Wal-mart beef quality is? Price is very low for quality given. Had a couple of filets that were some of the best tasting meat I've ever eaten. Anyone else finding this to be true?

I don't know whether Sam's beef quality tracks WalMart's, but I got some ribeyes at Sam's a couple of weeks ago that had great marbling and were excellent. I actually went there to buy a brisket, but the ribeyes caught my eye so got them instead.

I know they have been going hot n heavy with advertising their meats recently. Even did "blind taste tests" at the Southfork Ranch in Dallas and several Product Placement ads on Masterchief. LOL. My problem is that they cut their steaks way too thin for my liking.

Yeah, my wife and I had a couple of the USDA Choice ribeye steaks from there last week. They were excellent! If not the best I've ever had, they were darn close.

The one I've been to recently only had Select grade meat in stock. A local grocery store (HEB) had Prime Boneless Ribeyes for $7.97/lb, so I'm stocked up on those.

Been getting the rib-eyes since seeing the commercials and they are good!! Briskets are nice as well!!

Their steaks have been better than the local market lately. seems odd, but I will take a good cut of beef. Still hit Sams club for my big cuts, but I can handle Walmart steaks

I agree with A.J., my local HEB also has the best prices for prime, choice etc...in my area no one beats HEB in meat quality or prices...Walmart is a distant 2nd...

Sounds like I need to give Wally world beef another try. I haven't bought any there in a long time 'cause I never liked it but after reading this I'll try it again. Thanks for sharing.

I know that this thread is probably about whole beef cuts, but I still feel like Wal-Mart ground beef is garbage. The kind in the tubes is almost an emulsion like a sausage and not loose ground beef. The stuff in the more open packaging is looser on the packaging but all their ground beef still contains pink slime which throws it out the window for me.

Don't think I'm being an elitist on ground beef, it's just that when I eat a burger I cook it between rare and medium rare, so I like to be sure I'm getting pretty fresh pure ground beef. Food poisoning is a terrible thing to worry about.

Winn Dixie and Publix from what I have read doesn't use pink slime in their grind, but I'd rather have it ground in the store like Whole Foods does. I feel safe eating that meat, although even house ground meat can be dangerous if it isn't handled properly.

I've had several steaks from San'a that were awesome. And I've seen the ads and product placement on Master Chef,so we decided to give the WM steaks a try. The local store had some very thin ribeyes that didn't look that good,so I picked up a couple nice looking strips. I did a simple seasoning of salt and pepper. We were under-whelmed. The steaks were cooked to a nice medium, but turned out tough! I've heard that you could take the package back and get your money back,but that just seems a but much. I just prefer to not give them any more of my money for a lacklustre product!

I know that this thread is probably about whole beef cuts, but I still feel like Wal-Mart ground beef is garbage. The kind in the tubes is almost an emulsion like a sausage and not loose ground beef. The stuff in the more open packaging is looser on the packaging but all their ground beef still contains pink slime which throws it out the window for me.

Don't think I'm being an elitist on ground beef, it's just that when I eat a burger I cook it between rare and medium rare, so I like to be sure I'm getting pretty fresh pure ground beef. Food poisoning is a terrible thing to worry about.

If I eat rare burgers, it's because I grounded it up myself. ))))):::::::::::::::::::::::::::> d

Yep, I only eat mid rare when I do that or know my butchers name. My little kitchen aid mixer attachment does a pretty good job for small grind batches.

I haven't ate beef from a supermarket in over a decade. My parents own a nice farm and we raise, slaughter and butcher our own beef. One year I ran out of hamburger before the next kill so I bought some at a local grocery. I opened it up when I got home and straight in the garbage it went. The smell alone turned my stomach. I pulled a few roast from the freezer and ground them to get me buy.

Was the meat just spoiled? I know most good ground meat I've bought, especially at Whole Foods, smelled almost as fresh as mine. They even provide the time it was ground that day on a chalkboard. I bet the stuff you found was old.

Here's a couple ribeyes I bought at Walmart last week. Cut close to the chuck end , but still not bad for Walmart...
walmartsteaks.jpg

Last edited:

Back