Wagyu brisket

Jeff Eastman AZ

TVWBB Member
So, despite my wife thinking I am crazy, I got one of these the other day:
20200618_070143.jpg
20200618_070212.jpg
20200618_070201.jpg
I only use salt and pepper on brisket, and I think I will take this to a max of 225 degrees F, as I am concerned about losing a lot of the goodness at higher temps. Then, wrap at 160 in foil (I usually use butcher paper, but I want to catch the juices so I am changing course this time) Has anyone ever cooked one of these? What was your experience?

No idea on what to do differently cooking one of those. I am jealous though! I think you are taking the right approach. If it was afull packer I'd want to cook at a little higher temp to render more of the fat in the point, but in the flat I don't think it's a consideration. Good luck! Hopefully someone can chime in that knows what they are talking about with Wagyu.

Can't wait to hear how it turns out.

I saw a video with Baby Back Maniac, Harry Soo, and some other Youtubers where they cooked select, choice, prime, and Wagyu. Did a blind taste test and ranked. The Wagyu and prime split the 1st choice votes pretty evenly. But Harry said the prime they cooked was a really good one, maybe 1 in a 100 quality. Skip to around 19 minute mark for the rankings. Video

Jeff, I've made a few on my 18.5 WSM with great results but from now on my Camp Chef pellet grill gets the call because I sold my WSM today.
I guess you guys down in the valley don't have charcoal restrictions like we do up here. This is the forth year in a row of no charcoal starting in June and normally ending in late Sept Early Oct.

I am doing it a week from today, July 4th! My friend thinks I should do it on my Traeger, but I think the Smokey Mountain is a better choice! I will post pics of the entire process, and the end result!
Either way I am looking forward to though pictures. I have never cooked on a pellet grill so I have limited aid to you.

Jeff, I've made a few on my 18.5 WSM with great results but from now on my Camp Chef pellet grill gets the call because I sold my WSM today.
I guess you guys down in the valley don't have charcoal restrictions like we do up here. This is the forth year in a row of no charcoal starting in June and normally ending in late Sept Early Oct.
With the cart, how much did you end up selling it for?

Wait, what? Is there a restriction on burning, no supply, what the heck? Where is this? God forbid.

Wow, no, no restrictions here in the Valley! I think we have too much concrete for charcoal to be much of a danger... That is crazy though, all summer without charcoal!

I've done dozens of Wagyu briskets. You can low/slow, high heat, whatever you want. Me, I can't abide salt-and-pepper-only, much preferring a rub, but like any brisket (or ribs or butt) cook till tender, not to some notion of an internal temp.

I decided to cook it tomorrow, as last weekend (the 4th) I had too much going on (another packer brisket, ribs, chicken ect). I did not want this 5lb flat to get lost in the mix. I just took it out to thaw, and will post pics along the way tomorrow afternoon!

Can't wait to hear how it turns out.

I saw a video with Baby Back Maniac, Harry Soo, and some other Youtubers where they cooked select, choice, prime, and Wagyu. Did a blind taste test and ranked. The Wagyu and prime split the 1st choice votes pretty evenly. But Harry said the prime they cooked was a really good one, maybe 1 in a 100 quality. Skip to around 19 minute mark for the rankings. Video
I just got around to watching this! Thanks for sharing!

I decided to cook it tomorrow, as last weekend (the 4th) I had too much going on (another packer brisket, ribs, chicken ect). I did not want this 5lb flat to get lost in the mix. I just took it out to thaw, and will post pics along the way tomorrow afternoon!
I can't wait to see how it goes!

I started beef ribs first to try my new Green & Red Hatch Chile rubs (red on the left, green on the right).
20200711_115724.jpg

I put the brisket flat on about 2 hours after the ribs...

20200711_104544.jpg20200711_104516.jpg20200711_104615.jpg20200711_105050.jpg20200711_105120.jpg

Last edited:

Back