Vortex'd Chicken Thighs...

M Craw

TVWBB Super Fan
Nothing special, but I still thought I would post for us foodies...

Forgot to post up these pic from this past weekend. The thighs that look like they're done, are indeed done, and we took them off right after the pic was taken. They were marinaded in Blues Hog Tennessee Red sauce. It's such a great vinegar based sauce with a kick, but as you can tell from the dark mahogany color, there's some sugar in there too so don't take your eyes off 'em for too long. The others had a few more minutes to go and were plain (no seasoning/marinade), and then some had Cavendar's Greek seasoning and EVOO. They all were very good!

IMG-1742.jpg IMG-1740.jpg IMG-1739.jpg

Nothing special, but I still thought I would post for us foodies...

Forgot to post up these pic from this past weekend. The thighs that look like they're done, are indeed done, and we took them off right after the pic was taken. They were marinaded in Blues Hog Tennessee Red sauce. It's such a great vinegar based sauce with a kick, but as you can tell from the dark mahogany color, there's some sugar in there too so don't take your eyes off 'em for too long. The others had a few more minutes to go and were plain (no seasoning/marinade), and then some had Cavendar's Greek seasoning and EVOO. They all were very good!

View attachment 12166 View attachment 12167 View attachment 12168
Nice Cook! I have had pretty good results in Brining my chicken parts for at least 3 hours and up to 24 hours:

8 cups of water
splash of white wine
splash of coca cola
1 tablespoon of thyme
2 bay leaves
1/3 cup kosher salt
4 garlic cloves, smashed
1 tablespoon black pepper
1/3 cup sugar
The above stated amount of Brine was for around fifty(50) Chicken Wing Pieces cut-in-half with the wing tips discarded to the freezer for some future soup mixings and six(6) chicken legs.

Last edited:
The Vortex is the ultimate chicken cooker add on for a kettle.
And your right when they look done they are done.
Nice job!

Tim

I poo pooed the Vortex for a very long time, then I got one...
Seriously the only way I do most chicken anymore! It’s quick, it’s easy and just plain delicious!
Apparently it makes crow taste good too!

How long do thighs take on the kettle? W/wo vortex? What temp or does that really matter. Looking for a foolproof chickenator

How long do thighs take on the kettle? W/wo vortex? What temp or does that really matter. Looking for a foolproof chickenator
I would say ~40 to 50 minutes or so. From my experience w/ the Vortex, it all depends on how many coals you can fit in it, and how hot you can get it, but in saying that, a thermometer is your best friend with chicken.

It's been so long since I've done chicken on the Kettle w/out the Vortex, I don't know, but again, thermometer.

Back