Vortex and grate question

Mac LA

TVWBB Super Fan
Hello Everyone,

Just had a quick question for those running Vortex units. Would you recommend upgrading to a cast iron grate? I've read a few reviews that stated it burns so hot that it rusted the existing grate.

Any truth to this?

Thanks in advance,

Johnny

Last edited:
I've got the gourmet system. The regular grate got pretty hammered by the cook I just did so yeah, there might be some truth to it. It's discolored. It was already rusting

There are a couple of ways to address this issue. You can throw a bit of money at it and get the gourmet bbq set as suggested. Another way would be to simply oil the regular grates after regular cleaning and soldier on. I am "soldiering on", presently, but considering the gourmet bbq system.

FWIW
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Last edited:
Thank you all for your input. I wasn't aware of the gourmet setup but looking into it now.

Johnny

Edit: after a short look-see, no matter what route (cast irom or gourmet setup) its going to be pricey, at least the cast iron will be.. I guess I'll see after my first cook.

Last edited:
Use a CI setup with enamel if it can withstand the temps. The temps the Vortex puts out, the seasoning will burn off using regular CI.

Just to clarify what I was saying, I have the gourmet system but I was using the standard normal grate insert, not the cast iron. The normal grate did get badly discolored but mine had started rusting previous to using the vortex on it. The vortex definitely discolored the grate to a reddish color, indicating heat damage. I don't really care. The gourmet grates are pretty sturdy but they definitely aren't stainless (my center sectioned rusted over almost immediately after purchase, but I'm sometimes lazy about cleaning my grates right after a cook). I use the cast iron searing grate most of the time.

Just to clarify what I was saying, I have the gourmet system but I was using the standard normal grate insert, not the cast iron. The normal grate did get badly discolored but mine had started rusting previous to using the vortex on it. The vortex definitely discolored the grate to a reddish color, indicating heat damage. I don't really care. The gourmet grates are pretty sturdy but they definitely aren't stainless (my center sectioned rusted over almost immediately after purchase, but I'm sometimes lazy about cleaning my grates right after a cook). I use the cast iron searing grate most of the time.

Well, with the gourmet grate, wouldn't it be best to just remove the center section when using the vortex? The extreme heat can't damage what isn't there. If you want to use smoke wood, you'd need to put it on top of the coals.

For those who toss on a chuck, do you see any issue with just tossing it in the vortex?

Up top on the grate, won't it just smolder?

No issue tossing it on top of the charcoal pile in the vortex .. always do it that way leaving the middle of my Weber GCS grate open.

I I have the vortex only time the center is on if I do slow cooking like brisket. Like Chad said just leave off. Otherwise get just the cast iron center grate

Jerry c

Back