Viewing the flame

Mike-BBQ

TVWBB Member
I have a new Weber 435 and am learning the basics. Is there a place to check the flame on each burner to be sure it is on? On my old Char Red, there were peep holes in the body you could view to be sure each burner is lit. On the 435, you have to hold the igniter for each burner across the board, but it is difficult to check to be sure the burner is lit.

Thanks

Yeah sadly they assume you just have faith. That's another one of the disadvantages of new Genesis. No crossover ign, no peep window for manual light.

I use Grill Grates on top of the other grates, so I really can't see anything. Maybe at night I may be able to see. Even thought about drilling peep holes through the side. Disappointing not to be able to check on the flame.

Since the firebox is aluminum; I would think a correctly placed, correctly sized hole would be a great mod to see if each burner was running (and being aluminum it shouldn't rust). But with Weber's legal stance on mods, caution might prevail.

Maybe we should suggest that Weber incorporate ionic flame sensors with indicators and re-ignition for flame-outs ;) Then our grills would only cost a couple thousand more...

Back