2 Tbsp fish sauce
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp neutral vegetable oil
4 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp Hoisin sauce
1 Tbsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp chicken powder
3 Tbsp minced shallots - about one large shallot
3 Tbsp minced lemongrass - about one full stalk lemongrass, just the inside soft part, not the woody external part
1/2 tsp paprika -used for color

slice pork into thin slices and place in ziplock bag or marinating container
mix all the above ingredients and combine. taste combined mixture for your preferred flavor profile. you're seeking a balance of salty and sweet. don't over sweeten as the sugars will caramelize when you cook the pork and become sweeter.
combine marinade and pork and distribute marinate all over each pork slice.
cover and or seal and place in fridge for at least 2 hours, but longer is better, up to 24 hours.
when ready to cook, prepare coals onto grill and create an even layer of of coal using around 70% of the cooking are for heat and 30% for no heat.
place marinated, sliced pork atop the hot coals section of you grill and cook for a few minutes, turning each slice so as to not burn the pork.
move done pieces to your indirect resting area until all slices are cooked and done.
remove from grill and serve.
grilled pork can be used to make Bahn mi sandwiches, with rice, with rice noodles, and accompanied with Vietnamese dipping sauce (sugar dissolved into hot water, fish sauce, fresh lime juice, minced thai chili), accompanied with shredded carrots and sliced cucumbers. garnish with mint and or fresh cilantro.

Great!
Thanks for the recipe.
How thin? How fast do they cook?
This looks like something I need to know how to do, regularly.
Maybe change the flavor profile for beef too.
1/4 inch should be good. if you can go thinner then try so. thinner means faster cook means paying rapid attention to the grill. this all cooks quickly as you're using direct heat but not a massive coal load, as in a single layer of coals will be enough heat but not burning scorching heat. the sugars will cause havoc if you sleep for a minute here. this pork is done at 140°-145° which is slightly more than a quality burger (135° for a burger).

personally, i do not like sweet beef. but that's me. i prefer savory beef; grilled, roasted, seared, wok'd or cast iron cooked.

post your cooks when you do this. i always seek feedback on my recipes.

Thank you!
Yes agreed that is why I said adjust. Should have said completely change. I did a similar technique. The gf noticed Costco Bulgogi was on sale. Hmmm. So the pieces went on the hot gasser. Excellent. The small pieces were put in ci pan on the gasser. Different but excellent. If you are the cook grab the pieces immediately off the grill. Back inside the pan pieces are better cause they cool off better. While the big pieces (should never make it to the table. Shhh)

Last edited:
Hand sliced or slicer or does it really matter?
Restaurants use a meat slicer because they manage profits and margins. You can use either. Thinner is better than thicker, and too thick makes it like a steak which isn’t really desired, by me. The goal is thin sliced meat but not shaved. Feel free to experiment and find what you like. Alternatively, you can order this from your local Pho shop and see how they do it and if you like their style.

We like Vietnamese food due to its lighter and fresher ingredients than say traditional American Chinese food which we find greasy and heavy. And then Japanese food is high on our list for clean proteins and fresh ingredients too.

Seems like we have similar taste in food, anything that tastes good. :ROFLMAO: Another recipe I have to put in my future to try list, you are killing me in a good way! Future cooks to tryout.

Cooking now 😜

spinning the cooking grate and flipping pieces. Working with a hot coal zone and no coal indirect zone to avoid burning the meat.

F64374D3-87CA-4311-997D-EAA6E2F7A0BC.jpeg

Attachments

• E84155F1-B1BD-48AD-AB9F-2D862CDFF54A.jpeg
    E84155F1-B1BD-48AD-AB9F-2D862CDFF54A.jpeg
    254.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 46359F61-3B01-459D-A6CF-D4A2D4E80271.jpeg
    46359F61-3B01-459D-A6CF-D4A2D4E80271.jpeg
    251.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 7BCB0D6C-4BDB-4FC5-847A-8CA450C9FF5B.jpeg
    7BCB0D6C-4BDB-4FC5-847A-8CA450C9FF5B.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 10
  • E31EF884-D259-48E0-8BA6-BA8B1098A2E3.jpeg