Hey all. Hope someone may be able to help me out. I came upon a vieluxe natural gas grill that I would like to swap to LP. Trying to learn what size orifices I will need to change to. And I'm guess there are different size regulators too? Open to suggestions. Saw a few guys on here that were very knowledgeable on the subject. Please chime in.

Did you happen to read this? It's very informative.

And a member's experience with a Vieluxe conversion from earlier this year...

The process of switching from LP to NG or vice versa can be very complicated and produce unexpected and even dangerous results. Your best chance at success is to find an LP Manifold to swap in. Trying to simply swap out orifices might work, depending on the valves, but many times that will not lend to a well to a good functioning grill but could lead to a safety issue. I would think that a regular low pressure LP hose and regulator would be what is needed unless the grill pulls more BTU's than a regular low pressure hose is capable of producing.

If you get that thing fixed up and running, you will have a heck of a grill, but like the Summit grills, parts are extremely hard to come by and you can wind up going down the rabbit hole and sinking a lot of money into something that ultimately will wind up on the curb for the scrap guy. Do your research before you dive in too deep.

Can you post some photos so we can see some photos of one of these rare beasts?

NG to LP can be extremely tricky or a piece of cake. It depends what parts Weber originally used when they built it. If they used variable valves instead of 3 position ones it's easy. But, you will not know until you actually take a valve apart and look at it. In the case of such a rare bird by then you've already spent a lot of time and effort to transport it and $$$ to buy it and in the end the conversion could be a lost cause. Tread carefully. You're playing with fire. From the tone of your original post you leave the impression you're inexperienced at best. If it's a NG the absolute best thing you can do is get NG installed and leave it as is

The process of switching from LP to NG or vice versa can be very complicated and produce unexpected and even dangerous results. Your best chance at success is to find an LP Manifold to swap in. Trying to simply swap out orifices might work, depending on the valves, but many times that will not lend to a well to a good functioning grill but could lead to a safety issue. I would think that a regular low pressure LP hose and regulator would be what is needed unless the grill pulls more BTU's than a regular low pressure hose is capable of producing.

If you get that thing fixed up and running, you will have a heck of a grill, but like the Summit grills, parts are extremely hard to come by and you can wind up going down the rabbit hole and sinking a lot of money into something that ultimately will wind up on the curb for the scrap guy. Do your research before you dive in too deep.

Can you post some photos so we can see some photos of one of these rare beasts?
Bruce, I'll see if I can open a valve up later today and get pics of everything. I actually got this thing for like 20 bucks cause someone wanted to change it to propane but never got around to it. I just wanna change orifices and put a propane hose/regulator on and see if it works. I'msure this will be better than my 100 dollar charbroil. And it will look a hell of a lot nicer off the patjo! But I dont want to do anything that "shouldn't be done".

NG to LP can be extremely tricky or a piece of cake. It depends what parts Weber originally used when they built it. If they used variable valves instead of 3 position ones it's easy. But, you will not know until you actually take a valve apart and look at it. In the case of such a rare bird by then you've already spent a lot of time and effort to transport it and $$$ to buy it and in the end the conversion could be a lost cause. Tread carefully. You're playing with fire. From the tone of your original post you leave the impression you're inexperienced at best. If it's a NG the absolute best thing you can do is get NG installed and leave it as is
Thanks. Yeah, new to messin with grills. But pretty handy if I need to be. Gonna get pics later today and show the whole thing. Orifices, valves, the works.

The best way to convert from one fuel gas to another is to completely change out the manifold and fuel supply system. Propane is a much more powerful fuel than natural gas, this is why there is so much emphasis on caution here. Smaller volume of propane produces as much heat as larger volume of natural gas, so going from NG to propane the risk is MUCH TOO MUCH FUEL and you can end up with FAR TOO MUCH HEAT. I'm capitalizing for emphasis, not being a weenie. The ultimate way to do this would be to somehow find a vieluxe manifold for propane.

Once you get into the valves, as LMichaels covers extensively for us here on the forum, it can get complicated quickly. Terms like manometer, orifice size, inches water column come into play, actual plumbing.

I'm trying to explain why you are getting these reactions, the conversion you are going for is far more dangerous if done improperly than an improper LP to NG conversion. If you literally stick a natural gas line on a propane grill, you just end up with really low flames. If you do the opposite, you end up with a grill that can have out of control flames that put your grill, your self, your house wife and kids in danger.

That's why you see what you see here. People don't want anybody to get hurt. And some of us just don't want you to burn your food.

Good luck, and please be careful. It's a nice grill, but I'd rather have a hundred dollar charbroil and no danger than a five thousand dollar inferno threatening lives.

I agree wholeheartedly with the “tread carefully” recommendations above. You are blessed to have gotten, for practically nothing, the pinnacle grill of Weber’s history. Don’t let it turn into a disaster because you just want to “change the orifices and put a propane regulator on it.” This is one that calls for real patience. If you do it right you will have an extraordinary grill that most anyone on this board would love to own.

Ok guys. Here are some pics. Valves are the good ones! Got lucky on that.

Attachments

• 20211116_090812.jpg
    20211116_090812.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 20211116_090903.jpg
    20211116_090903.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 20211116_090916.jpg
    20211116_090916.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 20211116_090856.jpg
    20211116_090856.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 20211116_090843.jpg
    20211116_090843.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 20211116_090838.jpg
    20211116_090838.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20211116_090939.jpg
    20211116_090939.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 20211116_111420.jpg
    20211116_111420.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 20211116_111425.jpg
    20211116_111425.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 20211116_111831.jpg
    20211116_111831.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 20211116_111838.jpg
    20211116_111838.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 28
Can anyone tell me wgat size orifices i would need? And can I find some already sized or is it necessary to drill em out myself?
Wish I could answer that but I can't. But what I am curious about is that you have 7 burners with 7 valves and there are 3 more valves and two gas lines off to the side...how many orifices do you need?

And in other threads, I have read that when some members have bought orifices that did not fit or were not the correct ones they had trouble getting the vendor to accept a return. Just something to be aware of.

These are the 3 main people I go to for my pieces and reference chart(s)

Wish I could answer that but I can't. But what I am curious about is that you have 7 burners with 7 valves and there are 3 more valves and two gas lines off to the side...how many orifices do you need?

And in other threads, I have read that when some members have bought orifices that did not fit or were not the correct ones they had trouble getting the vendor to accept a return. Just something to be aware of.
Far left is the smoker burner. Then the 6 main surface burners. And finally the 3 on the right are the rotisserie and the front and rear side burners.

Attachments

• 16371064945147117281178918543144.jpg
    16371064945147117281178918543144.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 1637106536755480134990446119106.jpg
    1637106536755480134990446119106.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 6
Far left is the smoker burner. Then the 6 main surface burners. And finally the 3 on the right are the rotisserie and the front and rear side burners.
Do you think it is possible that you have different orifice sizes, depending on the burner function?

Back