V rack or straight on the grate?

Paul Pearson

TVWBB Super Fan
I will be smoking a total of 4 turkeys next holiday weekend, 2 at a time. I have one V-rack i could use, is that a better way to cook than straight on the cooking grate? I've never used it for turkey before, just ribs.

If you have the racks, might as well and use them. If you don't, then don't give it a second thought, you're good to go

I've used them before, (have two), one a wire one and the other ss with holes punched in. I prefer just putting it on the grate. Better presentation as you don't have those odd looking streaks from the skin touching the rack, and you don't have to worry about the skin getting stuck and pulling away as you remove it from the rack.

Tim

The only reason I use my V rack is when I place a disposable alum pan under the food to catch the drippings for use in gravy. I usually throw the neck and giblets in the pan with a bit of chicken stock as well.

Last edited:
Sounds like i don't need to bother if there isn't any cooking advantage to the V-rack. Some chicken has already been cooked up to make drippings for gravy.

Back