Update - Mods to the 26.75 OTG

Gary S

TVWBB Guru
On Jan 24[SUP]th[/SUP]13 Don W (Houston) asked for ideas concerning modifications to the 26” kettle.
I guess I kind of took over his post with my build. Last night my BIL and I were talking BBQ and cookers so we looked up the original post and were amazed to see it had over 14000 views!

I’ve received a number of emails since the build and am aware some of the build photos made it to the Weber Kettle Club. I am humbled by the interest. Today I have updated the original thread. I’ve also made some minor changes to some of my posts. I would like to share an update of the things I’ve done with the 26” since the original build and link the two posts together. I too have learned so much from other members cooking experience. Thanks for your time.:)

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?38610-Webber-26-75-OTG-Mods/page7&highlight=26.75+OTG+Webber+Mods

I have found the big kettle is hard pressed to perform in the same manner during our winters. This is especially true for indirect cooks. The fire needs to be much hotter given the heat loss and that changes the whole cooking dynamic for indirect so much so that I let it sit unused during the cold. I

I must confess I bought a Kamado. I do enjoy the Keg and it does offer some unique cooking opportunities but nothing compares to the 26 when it comes to overall versatility.

There are three additional mods I would like to share for those who like to smoke with the 26”.
The first mod is the wooden dowel combined with the bottom damper setting. I do prefer to cook with lump and so have not worked with the snake method. Others have with great success. I think it all boils down to how long you want to leave your kettle unattended and your cooking style. This still allows me to cook a brisket HH, or a butt, ribs or whatever I want. I like to be around to tend to things however the lid stays down! I can run using this method about 3 hours without adding fuel.

I can appreciate the daisy wheel top damper as a necessary part of the kettle especially for grilling however I like the idea of a more precise setting than each hole being open a portion. I made 3 plugs from 1” hardwood dowel and wrapped the ends with electrical tape to insulate so you don’t burn your fingers. So far the original dowels have lasted over a year. Wood will combust in the 400F range so I don’t use them for more than 350 degree cooks and in most cases 250 F. Obviously they will be sacrificial at some point.
IMG_0268_zps8c627da2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

With the Nomex under the lid, the bottom damper set at ¼ open I can dial in temps of 250, 300 and 350 just by popping one, two or three plugs into the daisy wheel. The kettle will hold these temps quite steadily as long as it has fuel. I attribute a lot of the steady temps to the cast iron charcoal grate.

IMG_0228_zpsc70577e3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Another important part of this is covering the unused portion of your charcoal grate so that air from the bottom vent has to pass through and not around your fire. Doing this also saves a lot of fuel and makes temperature control more precise.

IMG_0223_zps5aed939d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG

I have also added another BGE accessory, their warming rack. It’s not cheap but is very well made and provides some extra grill space especially when using the rotisserie. I had to make some minor fitment adjustments to the rack but it works very well and I’m glad I bought it.

IMG_04112_zps6319e889.jpg
[/URL][/IMG
I grill with the roti building a fire on one side only. I like the direct/indirect method this allows. Personally I think it makes for better distribution of juices, hot to cold, and there is less risk of burning compared to fires on each side.
IMG_0867_zps9de2a98a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The added feature to this is being able to set up an indirect cooking area using the warming rack while still being able to use the rotisserie.

IMG_0951_zps58ed9280.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]Part of my grilling enjoyment is the satisfaction of adding sides having everything finish together at the same time. Thank you Jim Lampe for the inspiration in doing the all in one cooks.
IMG_0342_zpsd5d30a7e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG

The last mod comes from the benefit of having two lids for the 26. The initial one was damaged when I purchased it NIB. Weber replaced it. I have used the lid now and added Nomex to both, the advantages are clear once you use it.

In furthering the concept of LNS I began to think about, “what if the smoke were forced to travel a little further so that it stayed in the kettle longer? What if the heat did not exhaust at the highest point? Would that add efficiency to the cook? Could I slow the burn and save more fuel? Would there be less evaporation?
It took some nerve but I decided to drill two vents in the damaged lid so that I could bank coals on one side and vent on the other. The kettle seems to hold more heat with less burning. I would consider this to be an improvement for smoking, LNS and mid range cooks.
Would I recommend others do this, well that’s up to you. I would not have done it I don’t think unless I had the two lids but now that I have I think it has some advantages. I do normally switch lids for HH cooks.
Here are some pics of this mod and a turkey cook. These have appeared in other posts.

IMG_0538_zps21f140e7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG

IMG_0539_zps815b1e00.jpg
[/URL][/IMG

Thanks for your time and your interest.

jiminy Gary... if I had a medal to pin on you, i'd be there in minutes!
What outstanding work you've done! Nothing short of GENIUS!
C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S !

jiminy Gary... if I had a medal to pin on you, i'd be there in minutes!
What outstanding work you've done! Nothing short of GENIUS!
C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S !

Jim you are one of the forum leaders posting your cooks on a regular basis for all of us to see and learn from. I'm just happy to be able to contribute something in my own way. It's been fun pursuing the 26's possibilities.
Thank you

Back