Unplanned Weber buy

MarkMac

TVWBB Member
Today I went to see if my local Walmart had the 14" WSM on clearance as many have mentioned already for $139 or better. I was on the fence whether to grab one, as I already have the 22", but having a small 14" would be nice to quickly for up for small amounts.

However when I turned around, I noticed they had the floor model OTG and Master Touch, so I took a look. What I wasn't expecting was they were both marked down. The OTG was $109 and the Master Touch was $154. I've been watching CL for a deal on a used OTG, so I figured I should grab one of these. I was ready to grab the MT, but the only one they had was the floor model, and it had been there a while, and I noticed it had the wrong lid. There was no thermometer, and all the parts were just tossed inside. I was debating if I should grab it anyway, and then call Weber and explain what parts were missing and the fact it was the last one in stock.

They had one OTG left. Box looked a little rough, but inside it looked fresh from factory.

I grabbed the OTG. Other than the grate upgrade, char-basket, tuck-away lid and extra 3" in height, is it worth the extra $50 somewhere else? I'm sure Weber would help me out with anything that;s missing or wrong if I went back to grab the floor model. Just not sure I see the extra $50. Ugh, decisions decisions...... maybe the tuck away lid makes is worth it????

ONE TOUCH GOLD
2e39v06.jpg
]

MASTER TOUCH
5e8p00.jpg

Had to grab the OTG at a minimum.....
257d8k5.jpg

Last edited:
I decided to check another location and found a MT in the box instead of floor model. Even better was the fact they rang it up as $99 for me because it was the last one. So the OTG is going back tomorrow.

Darren, I never seem to find those deals, just sayin'.
I guess that's not quite true, I picked up two grill gazebos for twenty bucks a piece. One for my wife's son and I had planned to keep the other but, really didn't have proper space for it so, I have that one to my brother. Originally something like $85.00 so, I guess the blind dog found a bone after all.

Last edited:
Darren, I agree with Timothy. Even CL is getting expensive in Southern California. Anytime I want something, it is not on sale. I had to pay full pop for my Crate and Barrel Performer and my WSM22. Did get a great CL deal on my Genesis 1000 though. But I look at it this way, that grill and that smoker as well as the gasser have giving my family and me as well as others much joy so the cost is irrelevant. Just my 20 cents (adjusted for inflation).

Darren, I never seem to find those deals, just sayin'.

Man, you folks south of the border get all the great sales!

I know eh. Wouldn't see this at Canadian Tire or Home Hardware? and even if you did, then its the HST. Even trying to ship stuff to Canada gets too costly to chase a deal.

I grew up in the maritimes north of the Canadian border, and now just 20 min north of the mexico border.... Maybe its my heritage that makes me feel obligated to grab deals.

I'd been watching the prices at the WM just up the street from me for the last few weeks after the price on the 14's dropped to $139. They also had a couple Q1200s ($139) and an Original Premium 22 ($109). I stopped in to check yesterday morning and the prices had dropped again... the 14's and the Q1200 dropped to $99 and the Premium is down to $74. I had to leave the kettle due to lack of room in the car, but I bought all 4 14's they had and a Q1200. Keep an eye on those prices!

I'd been watching the prices at the WM just up the street from me for the last few weeks after the price on the 14's dropped to $139. They also had a couple Q1200s ($139) and an Original Premium 22 ($109). I stopped in to check yesterday morning and the prices had dropped again... the 14's and the Q1200 dropped to $99 and the Premium is down to $74. I had to leave the kettle due to lack of room in the car, but I bought all 4 14's they had and a Q1200. Keep an eye on those prices!

Gotta wonder how they could have made a profit on these deals!

Just checked the Wally World by my work, the 14" WSM were $139. Just gotta wait them out to drop, or check the one by my house.

The burden of profit shifts to other things, like back to school. Also, deals create foot traffic, and at my local store, grill prices dropped, but most of the accessories and add-ons are still regular price.

I also picked up a NIB Master Touch the other day at Walmart for $99. I was looking at these a few weeks ago when they were full price. I'm glad I waited.

Are the bowl and lid deeper than the regular 22" kettle or does it just appear like they are?

Wayne

Back