UGH!! Mold

DennisT

TVWBB Member
Had not had a chance to fire up my WSM since October. All set to do a chuck roast (sliced) and Mac-n-cheese when to my dismay my WSM was full of mold. Luckily I still have my Weber grill that I first bought to try out the hobby. Cleaned out the WSM and loaded it up with a full chimney and let it burn while I started up my weber to get dinner ready. Things just did not go as planned today - I am so ready for an adult beverage or two

Yea that blows!
I just used mine yesterday and it's also been awhile, but no mold.
Ever since I started turning the mid section upside down I never get that.

I've had this happen, too. I also have times when the grease build-up inside the lid starts to flake and peel and it needs to be cleaned off before I can start cooking. I try to remember to make checking the condition of the inside of the cooker #1 on my pre-cook checklist...but I sometimes forget, often to my frustration when I remove the lid and look inside. :mad:

I always make sure to put the cover on...but now I'm wondering if I should. Everything turned out good. Cubed the remaining meat and tossed with sauce for burnt ends one night this week

Attachments

• 20211211_170806.jpg
    20211211_170806.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20211211_170811.jpg
    20211211_170811.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 8
The covers eventually let water in. I’ve had it happen several times. I remove the thermometer and do a high heat burn off.

It will let some water in. I keep some vents open on the bottom and that usually keeps it away but I've had it happen too when I've forgotten to do that. Getting the ash out helps but I usually forget until the next cook.

Hate that problem. I have to remember to clean out the WSM the next day, or it'll mold for sure. What's this about turning the mid-section upside down?

Back