Two butts w/ different rubs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Silverman

TVWBB Pro
I am cooking two butts the weekend to bring to a party. I think most of the poor souls going have never experienced the heavenly taste of pulled pork.

They're more used to the typical fare of burgers dogs and chicken.

I can't make up my mind as to which rub to use. If I end up using two different rubs like say one with Texas #1 and one with Mr. Brown do you think it would be O.K. to mix them up (in the same pan) after pulling or should I have two separate pans?

Thanks AL

P.S. Do you apply the rub just before adding meat to cooker or do you rub, wrap and let sit overnight?

Al,

If I had rubbed and let sit in the fridge overnight, I would add another light coat of rub before adding to the cooker.

Secondly, if it was me, I would not mix the two together. But I don't put ribs on the same platter if I used different sauces either, I just like to keep things separate. Maybe I'm being to anal about this. Either way I'm sure they will love it. Good Luck!

Mr Brown is super peppery, so I think the butts will taste distinctly different, which would lend itself to keeping them separate so you can gauge what people prefer. Of course, combining them will give you the best of both worlds and will reduce the pepperiness, in case that annoys people.

You can rub in advance with no problemo, and prolly should, but there's no harm if you do it just before smoking.

Al, The texas # 1 is awsome on pork, well everything for that matter. If you do 2 different rubs i would keep them seperate. Bryan

Hi,

I think I'll bag the idea of two rubs and go with this month's rub of choice Texas BBQ #1.

I gotta tell ya this...When I placed my order with Bill Cannon, I told him that my timing sucked because I had ordered some of his great rub before the TVWB discount and now was ordering again after the discount. He still sent me 4 bucks!!!

Now that's a nice guy!!!

He does suggest rubbing just before cooking, And that's what I usually do but, I think I will rub one of the butts, wrap it in plastic, let it sit for 12 hours or so then re-rub and then cook. Just trying to enhance the bark.

I don't think I have smoked anything the same way twice.

Al

P.S. Hope eveyone has a safe weekend especially the folks in FLA.

Okay I have heard alot about this Texas BBQ rub. It must be good. Can someone tell me how to get a hold of some? Thanks.

Larry. Here's the link for youTeaxas BBq Rub Larry if you want any of the # 2 you have to tell them that in the comments box. I.E. just place your order for 4 lbs of the #1 and put in the comments box you want 2 lbs of the #1 and 2 lbs of the # 2 rub Or you just ask for a sample of the # 2 rub for free. He sends about a lb of it.
icon_wink.gif
Bryan

Thanks for the link Bryan.

Susan,
I wish I was going to the game. Are you? I haven't been to FedEx Field yet. But I don't miss a game on TV. I am staying home with my 2 year old tonight. Just her and dad watching the game. I might throw a chicken on the WSM for us. I can't wait for the regular season to start!!! Thats when the WSM will really get fired up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back