TVWBB mentioned on radio last night

LMichaels

TVWBB Hall of Fame
So I was listening to a little late night radio on WGN last night. The show was On The Road with Dane Neal. He was talking to a BBQ guy (can't remember his name but maybe Chris will chime in). Anyway he said when he was getting his start he found this site, and started asking questions. So many questions that according to him "the owner of the site told him e was asking too many questions and was costing him money and kicked him off" :D So he started his own site. I think he said it's called "Amazing Ribs" (maybe Chris' memory will be jogged and he can tell us).
Anyway I though it was pretty funny

Richard in NS

TVWBB Fan
Was it “Meathead Goldwyn” of Amazingribs.com who wrote the book “Science of BBQ”? I know his site too. Would like to hear if that story is true.

KE Quist

TVWBB Fan
That's interesting. I had a paid membership on Amazing Ribs and let it lapse because I found this site. I'm going backwards I guess. :cool:

LMichaels

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I just thought it was comical how he said that he was costing the site too much money by asking too many questions LOL

DuaneMac

TVWBB Member
That’s why I don’t post much! Trying to keep the costs down! I’m a listener, not a talker.
LOL!

Last edited:

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
At that point in the show, he's interviewing Greg Rempe of The BBQ Central podcast. Greg was an active member here from 2004-2006 and posted off and on as late as January 2009 even after leaving to start his own forum. His account here was never closed, in fact it's open and all his posts are still active. You can read them here.

To the best of my knowledge, Meathead Goldwyn and Max Good have never been TVWBB members.

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
I may have said something to that effect, but I don't remember. Apparently it was a memorable event for him, not so much for me.

In the old days, it was not uncommon for me to occasionally post announcements reminding all members to keep the discussion focused and to minimize chatty posts. I also pruned posts from some forums and pruned inactive member accounts. I had a ridiculous hosting service where I paid fees based on post count, user count, and bandwidth, and I was paying dearly during the busy summer months. Minimizing chatty posts helped reduce cost, so it's entirely possible that I asked him to ease up on the posting.

Since 2012, when I found help to move the forum to vBulletin software and more affordable hosting, I have been able to let go of all those concerns! I no longer worry about chatty posts and I no longer prune forums or user accounts.

LMichaels

TVWBB Hall of Fame
It struck me as totally funny. I was half asleep laying there chuckling at what he said. Hope you don't think I was being critical. Just struck me as humorous. BTW he didn't mention it in a derogatory way. If you listened he was laughing and did so in a passing way alluding to how funny his situation was

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
It struck me as totally funny. I was half asleep laying there chuckling at what he said. Hope you don't think I was being critical. Just struck me as humorous. BTW he didn't mention it in a derogatory way. If you listened he was laughing and did so in a passing way alluding to how funny his situation was
No problem that you brought it up. I listened to it and it doesn't bother me in the least, I have no animosity towards him. Over the years, I've had several people tell me that he mentions this anecdote when recounting his barbecue journey. In fact, he said some very nice things about TVWB and TVWBB being important sources of learning during his early years with his WSM.

LMichaels

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Yes he did. I more brought the whole mention up because I thought it was really cool that he brought this forum up and talked highly about all the info about it and all that he learned.