Turkey capacity of a 18.5 WSM ?

Kevin L (NKY)

TVWBB Diamond Member
I have a 18.5 WSM and the wife picked up a 20lb turkey on sale,will fit or should exchage for a smaller bird ?
Kevin

It will fit, I've done 22-24 pounders on mine. Just in case you can always check the fit while it's still frozen and in the bag.

Tim

Thanks Tim Yeah I was thinking of doing that once I get home today after work, as I would really like to brine Sunday and cook Monday on my day off.

The capasity of these things amaze me I love this cooker, i use it more than my other two.

Thanks Tim Yeah I was thinking of doing that once I get home today after work, as I would really like to brine Sunday and cook Monday on my day off.

The capasity of these things amaze me I love this cooker, i use it more than my other two.

Kevin you can also consider using a vertical rack for big turkeys. They cook really well too. I've done it 2-3 times. If you ever do it lower the top rack about 4 inches into the cooker. The bottom rack is too close but the middle ground works great and you can get bigger birds cooked that way.
IMG_0524.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Kevin you can also consider using a vertical rack for big turkeys. They cook really well too. I've done it 2-3 times. If you ever do it lower the top rack about 4 inches into the cooker. The bottom rack is too close but the middle ground works great and you can get bigger birds cooked that way.
IMG_0524.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

that is a great idea....do you set the rack on tin cans or what is your method for that?

In my case, I welded a middle set of tabs to hold a 3rd cooking grate half way between the bottom and the top racks. Great for ribs, jerky, smoking fish, whatever. Others here just use soup cans. You could if you have them, take two fire brick on their edge, 4" and that will give you what you need. It will be stable. You could also go to a muffler shop and get three cut ends of SS, 4" high.
Don't go too high into the dome as the top of the bird will cook faster, just like if you go too deep into the smoker. Half way is about right. Chris A mentions the vertical rack but if I remember correctly he tried it on the bottom rack, not in the middle and found the drums cooked too fast.
I like this method because with a drip pan on the bottom grate you catch all the drippings for gravy, no water pan or other heat shield is necessary. You can cook at whatever temp you want. I prefer HH. The other advantage is the smoke and temps flow through and around the bird unless you using a beer can or some other infuser.
My rack is a BGE., works great.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B003MAN20A/thevirtualweberb

Last edited:
Well my 20 pounder fit just fine and actually came pretty darn good took six hours but was still juicy and the skin was nice and brown.
Thank You guys for all your help, Gary I am going to yry your vertical cooking method some day thst is a great idea.
Kevin

Well my 20 pounder fit just fine and actually came pretty darn good took six hours but was still juicy and the skin was nice and brown.
Thank You guys for all your help, Gary I am going to yry your vertical cooking method some day thst is a great idea.
Kevin

Glad everything worked out for you Kevin. I started doing vertical mainly with chicken, BCC, and so quickly recognized it was healthier considering all the fat that drains from the bird when cooked this way. Meathead has an interesting article on the Bear Can Method. I've cooked a few turkey's this way and while they are not as fat as chickens, they do drain nicely and give you excellent drippings. The vertical roaster also makes for an interesting presentation as well.
Personally I think I like kettle cooked turkey the best as I grew up with stuffing the bird. I have no problem cooking a stuffed bird in the kettle but would be less inclined to attempt it in the WSM.

Anyway lots of great technique out there, it's just a matter preference. :)

Back