Turkey Breast Stall?

Dex from NJ

TVWBB Fan
This is my first time trying a turkey breast and using lump charcoal. Normally I use stubbs.

Im at a lost. This turkey breast w bone has been smoking since around 1pm. It is now 830pm. I cant get the temp over 154. When I started smoking the bbq temp was around 225. I am now at 243. The food temp wont go over 154. I am using a maverick and also quadrupled check with a thermapen.

Do i need to wait until 165 degrees? I feel like the breast is going to be charred to death :)

This is also my first time dealing w a stall.

Thanks in advance..

I think I found the problem. The bbq temp probe was touching the grate so my temp was more like 200 for the past hour or two instead of 243...grrrrrrr either way I am stuck at 154 for the food temp.

I just added some more lump to get the temps up. I hope this ends soooon

Glad you found your problem. (I've never heard of a turkey stall.) Hopefully it's about done. Live and learn. We all started at the beginning.

I like to cook poultry at 325-350*F pit temp. I know this is above the normal smoke temps (250 +\- 25*F) but I like crispy skin and found this is an easy way to get it.

Be sure to tell us how it turns out.

Thanks for your response. definitely living and learning when it comes to smoking food. I literally just hit 165 yipppy!

Speaking of skin, what would make the chicken skin on party wings very tough? Not rubbery but hard to chew through..I never had that problem with wings before, but it was my first time doing the smaller party wings. Having a rough day here lol

Holy smokes bat baby, it is really moist. I would have sworn this turkey was dried and toasted after 7 plus hours..after all, it is just the breast. I know it took longer than it should have, but I have lunch for the week and it came out pretty good..

Edit: after a few more slices, it is not as moist as i would like, but it isn't dry, it is in between. The skin is tasty but a tad overdone. However, considering, how bad I messed up, it sure is eatable and your average person wouldn't complain about it. I am super picky.

I will post pics in the am..

Last edited:
Congrats! sounds like you learned a bunch. Make sure you keep good notes so you can refer back.

Try cooking the wings at 325-350*F and see how that works. Or after you smoke at lower temps sear them direct to get the skin right. I've even smoked then fried them before tossing them in sauce.

After reading about your adventure I don't feel so alone anymore. When it goes nuts it really goes nuts. But you saved it.

Back