Trying a new one…Yiddishe Ribbenes.

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Found a decent deal on a lovely package of flanken ribs at Costco and decided that they would make a nice Sunday afternoon dinner.
The picture of them just under rub is pretty awful so, I’m NOT posting that but, here they are in marinade until tomorrow…

They smell amazing, very different from a lot of things I’ve done but, the proof of the pudding is in the eating so, should these be a hit? I will be happy to share the recipe. Now, if they should be fed to the dog? Since we don’t have one, I will just force myself or call the Garbage man!
I must say, from the aroma, these rascals should be amazing!

Attachments

• 621AD001-1523-492E-BBAC-BCFBB112F455.jpeg
    621AD001-1523-492E-BBAC-BCFBB112F455.jpeg
    210.6 KB · Views: 9
Timothy, here's hoping they turn out real good. Would love a real good rib recipe. You are arousing my curiosity.!!!!!

17fc89da63b8a1e2cee12b5574ec0b58.jpg

Just did them last night, gee!
The flavor profile was really delightful, cooking technique needs some adjustment. They are still ribs and need more time than the “6 -8 minutes per side”, I might render the leftovers into a rage just for fun. First attempt? I give it a six, cooking time is simply too short.
I think with higher heat and more time, they would be quite nice.9A59F5C7-7663-4C4F-A202-87ECCE37CDDE.jpeg
I think, given another “deal” I’ll give it another chance.
I just started the ragu, onion, garlic, tomatoes, chicken stock, some lemon zest, a piece of ginger. Now, it’s a matter of time.
I will try again but, either give a several hour smoke then blast furnace it over the Vortex to finish or maybe Sous vide with the same finishing phase. The smell of the ragu is pretty much heavenly!

Last edited:
I just pulled it out of the oven, removed the bones and any cartilage, as well as the bay leaves and ginger. So, that is now reducing a little then, I will cook off a little penne to serve it over. Smells pretty good.

if you guys want a killer recipe for these short ribs:

Korean style makes a pretty epic cook on these. High heat so you sear and caramelize the sugars. Finger lickin good and a huge crowd pleaser. And easy to make and cook.

Last edited:
if you guys want a killer recipe for these short ribs:

Korean style makes a pretty epic cook on these. High heat so you sear and caramelize the sugars. Finger lickin good and a huge crown pleaser. And easy to make and cook.

Plus Koreans use a purea of pear in the marinade the acids break down the muscle fibers and add another flavor layer. If you do not want to mess with the pear you can use lemon line soda. That info is straight from the kitchen in our house, as my wife is Korean

Back