Traveler and temperature.

JeffAlderman

I used my new Traveler for the first time last evening and was impressed with the results on raw pork sausages and lamb burgers. However, the only way I could keep the temperature down to the recommended 180 C for those items was to have the gas setting at its lowest and to prop the lid open slightly with my tongs. I was trying to follow the instructions to keep the lid shut and flip just once, but keeping the lid shut shot the temperature up way too high. Any thoughts?

I haven’t had to prop the lid open on mine. Not sure why you would have to, 350 should be a cake walk for any grill to maintain.

What was it hitting turned all the way down and closed?

I'm sensing some confusion in this thread between Fahrenheit and Celsius. The numbers would make sense for Fahrenheit, but the "C" usually indicated Celsius.

I don't have a Traveler but here are a few random thoughts or questions:

• Are you using a stock 1 lb propane cylinder?
  • You mentioned grilling in the evening, so I assume you were out of direct sunlight; otherwise the sun could influence temps
  • Maybe you should also use another thermometer to confirm your lid thermometer's accuracy
  • I realize grill manuals suggest preheating on high but is it possible that a low flame preheat could help?
  • Maybe once when you're not grilling just let it ride untouched for an hour to see what happens over time

Good luck!

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. BFletcher yes I was out of direct sunlight and the gas was a stock 1lb Weber cylinder. I will try preheating on low to see how that goes. Scott; here in the UK we are now more used to centigrade so apologies to Fahrenheit users 😃

I tried again this evening and after heating for 15 mins on high I turned to the lowest setting where it eventually settled down to a steady 375f . Cooked boneless chicken thighs in 2 different marinades - delicious. I just needed some patience. One further question I burned off the grills on high and the used my weber metal bristle scraper on them but due to the honey in one of the marinades the grills stayed sticky with residue. Should I get this off in water or just keep heating and scraping as I use the bbq? I don't expect the grills to stay looking brand new.

One further question I burned off the grills on high and the used my weber metal bristle scraper on them but due to the honey in one of the marinades the grills stayed sticky with residue. Should I get this off in water or just keep heating and scraping as I use the bbq? I don't expect the grills to stay looking brand new.
Usually you preheat on high for 10-15 mins and any residue turns to carbon and is brushed off.
I never used a traveler so I'm not sure on it's quirks.

Well the bbq came and went. Everyone enjoyed the food even though I didn't stick to my intention to not mix foods with different cooking times so the lid was up and down more than it should have been. I also sligjtly overcooked most things.

Well the bbq came and went. Everyone enjoyed the food even though I didn't stick to my intention to not mix foods with different cooking times so the lid was up and down more than it should have been. I also sligjtly overcooked most things.
Practice makes perfect but it still sounds like you made some pretty good food and had a good time. Congrats!

Back