Tough decision - but one had to go

W Tyler

TVWBB All-Star
I've owned an unused 18.5 WSM for 7 or 8 months now and have never used it - and only assembled it a couple of months ago. Since then it's only sat in my garage. A few weeks ago, came across a used 22.5" WSM for a great price and jumped all over it. So that made two WSMs taking up space and not being used.

So I figured one needs to go - like most TVWBB members I'm overgrilled - but in my case SERIOUSLY overgrilled. So over the past few days I've been going back and forth, back and forth about which WSM to part with - the new 18.5 or used-but-much-larger 22.5. Got way more money tied up in the 22.5, but the 18.5 has a wonderful footprint.

Fired up the 22.5 this morning to do a "burn off" and used (shamelessly) some Match Light I'd gotten in some grill purchase deal at some point in the past - I'd never cook with it, but it does a HECK of a job for burn offs. The 22.5 takes a while to get up to temp, even with an inferno from a chimney full of Kingsford. But man does it hold temps.

Anyway, after seeing that I can easily get full 4 racks of spares in a 26.75" kettle I've decided to keep the 22.5, part with the 18.5. I believe I've made the best decision.

I'm not sure why, but I think you made the wrong decision!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_eek.gif
icon_confused.gif
wsmsmile8gm.gif

You may need to take up golf or something. Do you still have the fire to BBQ?

I'm calling BS on this one.

i certainly thank you made the right decision.
i was lucky enough to get a few of the 18.5 wsm when HD was clearancing them out back in november. when i started to cook with it and noticed that the capacity of the 22" was dramatically greater, i decided that the 22" was for me.
you are right in that it takes up more space and takes a slight bit longer for temps to get going but imho, i feel that it holds temps a lot better than the 18.5

Mike,

I've tried more Weber charcoal cookers over the past year than I did in the 43 years prior to that. So now I'm looking to get more practical and cut down and keep only cookers that will get used at least once per year. I wouldn't need the capacity of 2 WSMs at once in 3 lifetimes.

It boiled down to need - and making sure that I could meet any cooking demands I'd ever have. And when it came down to it the smaller WSM had to go.

V_Rocco,

So you'd give up the 22.5?

I have both an 18 1/2" and 22 1/2" WSMs. I used the 18 1/2" for a year, and just recently got the bigger model. If I had to keep one, I'd definitely keep the bigger model.

Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Mann:
I have both an 18 1/2" and 22 1/2" WSMs. I used the 18 1/2" for a year, and just recently got the bigger model. If I had to keep one, I'd definitely keep the bigger model.

Bob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had both as well and gave away the 18. With a 22 WSM and a SJ Mini WSM it has most cooks covered although I just picked up a used SS Performer and the Ranch Kettle is nice for big events.

I have both 22 and 18 and would not part with either, if I had to though I would let the 18 go and definitely keep the 22.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J Reyes:
I had both as well and gave away the 18. With a 22 WSM and a SJ Mini WSM it has most cooks covered although I just picked up a used SS Performer and the Ranch Kettle is nice for big events. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly! For me it's all about having my cooking needs covered. I'm not a Weber collector per se, looking for special colors or rare or limited edition collector's items - though it's fun to watch the members chase down acquire and rebuild rare grills to like new.

I've cooked and smoked on several Weber models and through that experience have been able to decide which ones will work best for me. Now let's see how long before the 18.5 sells.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by W Tyler:

V_Rocco,

So you'd give up the 22.5? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL I was just pointing out that there is no "right" decision.

I run a WSM Rescue operation for 18-1/2's that, through no fault of their own, have been abandoned by heartless @$!@!!s such as yourself... just send it to me and I'll give it a good home.
icon_wink.gif

It would be a boring world if we all thought the same. I sold my 22 and have rescued two 18's. I found for the two of us the 22 used too much fuel and was just bigger than I needed.
Yesterday I did a 9 lb packer and an 8 lb picnic in one 18. It was all we needed. I also found my 22 ran hot although I'm sure some Nomex gasket material could have looked after that problem.

It's all a PERSONAL decision.

The right choice depends on the type of grilling / bbq that you like to do.

The 18-incher is great if all you use a grill for is to cook the meat part of your meal. I find it a bit too small to do multi-zone cooks for whole meals with veggies, etc.

I really want to get a 26-incher for the multi-zone versatility and for cook-outs with family / friends. However, I really love the Weber rotiseree - and it seems to be unavailable for the 26. (What I REALLY want is a 26-inch version of The Performer, but that's another story...)

But, seeing how you already have a 26 - then, keeping the 18 and getting rid of the 22 makes sense if you want the smaller option when you need it.

Sometimes we gotta' do what we gotta' do, in order to promote peace and harmony with the Significant Other...
icon_rolleyes.gif

Hi
I just sold my 18.5 wsm - it is currently being shipped to a new home.
I have bought the 22.5 instead. My rationale was:

I do BBQ maybe 2 times a month, so even it is a bit more fuel hungry it is OK.
We are a family of 5 ( I have three boys) and when they get bigger they will crave meat in abundance
I like to be able to have things 'on the side' I had problems fitting in my bean pan during my last cook.

This was an expensive but right decision for me.

/Mikkel

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mikkel JC:
Hi
I just sold my 18.5 wsm - it is currently being shipped to a new home.
I have bought the 22.5 instead.

This was an expensive but right decision for me.

/Mikkel </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mikkel,

I sold the 18.5 last night. Thankfully I got both the 18.5 and 22.5 at great prices .... sold the 18.5 for triple what I paid for it, and the guy who bought it was happy that he got it for over $100 less than a brand NIB.

So now I'm down to the 22.5. I plan on welding a small ring of expanded steel, about the size of the one on the 18.5, to use in the bigger smoker to conserve fuel for smaller cooks.

My BIL just got a 22.5 and his first cook was a brisket. If I didn't have the Smoke EZ, I would definitely rather have the 22.5. Good choice.

It sounds like you are more of a grill collector. Months went by. If I could have fired mine up on the way from the store I would have.

Best of luck on your 22.5

Back